Sorry, this job is no longer accepting applications.
See below for more jobs that match what you’re looking for!
Laboratory Manager, Smilow Off Site Labs
Yale-New Haven Health
New Haven , CT 06501
Posted 3 months ago
This Job is not relevant Tell us why
To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These valuesintegrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassionmust guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.Has the responsibility and accountability for all administrative, technical and personnel matters required for the efficient and high quality operation and management of the Smilow off-site laboratory areas. Is administratively accountable for both capital and operating budget development. Has the responsibility for development, interpretation and application of section policies and procedures, budgets and long-range planning in conjunction with the Medical Director and Director, Laboratory Services.EEO/AA/Disability/Veteran
- Manages and directs the daily operations of the laboratory section, including approving work schedules, maintaining proper staffing, and supervising the daily work activities of medical technologists and phlebotomy staff.
- Responsible for maintaining the operating budget within the expense base. Provides monthly status report of operating budget to Medical Director and Director, Laboratory Services on all variances.
- Ensures appropriateness of test requests in coordination with Director and medical staff. Reviews and evaluates report validation, abnormal and unexpected test results with medical staff.
- Responsible for quality control and quality assistance for the laboratory in dealing with clinical issues and referencing as appropriate to the Medical Director when necessary. Ensures continuity, timeliness and quality of services.
- Ensures adequate laboratory supplies and sound inventory control within budget parameters.
- Responsible for the training for clinical pathology residents, medical students, housestaff, infectious disease fellows and medical technologists. Provides orientation to new employees and ongoing in-service instruction to assigned personnel.
- Maintains effective liaison with the Smiow Hospital Cancer Care Center leadership staff. Addresses conflict between lab policies and physician demands for testing, and either resolves them or brings them to the attention of the Director, Laboratory Services and the Medical Director.
- Ensures that all laboratory equipment is properly maintained to include service contractual arrangements and facilitates repair when necessary.
- In conjunction with lab computer operations, develops computer programs for lab reporting. Reviews and updates annually.
- Evaluates all laboratory functions, policies, procedures and equipment and makes effective recommendations regarding improvements or revisions.
- Participates in the selection and motivation of all laboratory personnel. Responsible for the administration of compensation, promotions, transfers, terminations and disciplinary action. Conducts employee performance reviews on review date. Responsible for review and update of job descriptions as needed.
- Responsible for statistical information necessary for all surveys, preparation of reports, documents, payroll records and other data as required.
- Assists Medical Director in development of capital and operating budget plans.
- Responsible for annual updates to costing of all laboratory tests. Recommends and takes action with Medical Director regarding changes in test methodology to reduce costs.
- Adheres to al Hazcom, Universal Precautions, fire and safety policies and procedures. Responsible for annual staff retaining for all safety policies. Assists in preparation of developing QA standards and indicators required for departmental QA Committee as well as requirements of regulatory agencies (CAP, CLIA & JCAHO).
- Responsible for monitoring technical competency of technical personnel to include annual competency evaluation as per CAP regulations.
- Maintains annual continuing education to improve management effectiveness and technical expertise.
- Participates in, at minimum, one departmental project, which supports the Hospital's community service mission.
- Maintains membership in necessary professional societies.
- Responsible for maximizing employee satisfaction through counseling, facilitating, holding meetings and resolving Employee Opinion Survey issues.
- Performs other administrative duties within the laboratory section as necessary.
- Responsible for participating in the development and evaluation of new methodologies for use in the laboratory.
Bachelor's Degree in Medical Technology with ASCP certification, Masters Degree in Health Sciences preferred.
Five (5) to seven (7) years experience working as a Medical Technologist, including one to three years of supervisory and/or management experience.
Excellent managerial, technical, fiscal, interpersonal, problem solving and organizational skills.
THIS POSITION REPORTS TO THE SENIOR MANAGER OF LABORATORY OPERATIONS FOR LABORATORY MEDICINE. BACHELORS DEGREE REQUIRED. MASTERS DEGREE PREFERED. MT (ASCP) OR MLS (ASCP) CERTIFICATION REQUIRED. EXPERIENCE IN A HIGH COMPLEXITY CLINICAL LAB.