Responsible for the care and custody of juveniles assigned to juvenile detention facility. Must be able to pass a pre-employment drug screen and DHS Criminal History Background Check in order to be eligible for employment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The following may not be all inclusive and other duties may be assigned.
01 Maintains security by controlling access to the facility; responsible for key and equipment controls; operates and monitors surveillance equipment; conducts security and juvenile welfare checks and juvenile counts; controls and inventories material and equipment; checks perimeter of facility; participates in emergency drills.
02 Manages juveniles by supervising juvenile movement; counsels juveniles; provides procedural and activity information; maintains juvenile discipline; logs written evaluations of individual juvenile's behavior and performance as observed by daily contact and inspection methods; writes behavior reports as assigned.
03 Conducts thirty-minute check of juveniles in rooms; ensures juvenile health standards; prepares and serves meals; provides access to medical and dental care; ensures access to the legal system; issues clean clothing, performs laundry responsibilities and mends and/or repairs clothing.
04 Follows established procedures in receiving and discharging juveniles from custody including completion of records and reports and providing for security of personal property.
05 Writes reports and reads and enforces juvenile house rules and regulations, discipline and personal habits.
06 Responds to disturbances and medical crises; responds to juvenile escape, fire and natural disasters.
07 Supervises juveniles in housekeeping activities; such as, cleaning, mopping, waxing of floors, making beds and related duties.
08 Maintains order and respect for authority; observes and anticipates potential hostile behavior of juveniles in custody; reports to appropriate counselor.
09 Assists area law enforcement agencies with information on juveniles in detention.
10 Administers approved medication and maintains medication records
11 Completes various reports of activities during shift; reports on individual behavior; informs personnel on next shift of any unusual occurrences.
12 Performs janitorial duties in front office area, which includes emptying waste baskets, dusting, sweeping, mopping, stripping and waxing floors, cleaning windows, changing light bulbs and replenishing restroom supplies.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Synthesizes complex or diverse information; collects and researches data; uses intuition and experience to complement data; designs work flows and procedures.
- Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; seeks feedback to improve performance; pursues training and development opportunities; strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; shares expertise with others.
- Competent in required job skills and knowledge; exhibits ability to learn and apply new skills; keeps abreast of current developments; requires minimal supervision; displays understanding of how job relates to others; uses resources effectively.
Use of Technology
- Demonstrates required skills; adapts to new technologies; troubleshoots technological problems; uses technology to increase productivity; keeps technical skills up to date.
- Generates creative solutions; translates concepts and information into images; uses feedback to modify designs; applies design principles; demonstrates attention to detail.
- Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Develops project plans; coordinates projects; communicates changes and progress; completes projects on time and budget; manages project team activities.
- Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; responds promptly to customer needs; solicits customer feedback to improve service; responds to requests for service and assistance; meets commitments.
- Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods.
- Establishes and maintains effective relations; exhibits tact and consideration; offers assistance and support to co-workers; works cooperatively in group situations; works actively to resolve conflicts.
Managing Customer Focus
- Promotes customer focus; establishes customer service standards; provides training in customer service delivery; monitors customer satisfaction; develops new approaches to meeting customer needs.
- Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; responds well to questions; demonstrates group presentation skills; participates in meetings.
- Balances team and individual responsibilities; exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; gives and welcomes feedback; contributes to building a positive team spirit; puts success of team above own interests; able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
- Writes clearly and informatively; edits work for spelling and grammar; varies writing style to meet needs; presents numerical data effectively; able to read and interpret written information.
- Develops workable implementation plans; communicates changes effectively; builds commitment and overcomes resistance; prepares and supports those affected by change; monitors transition and evaluates results.
- Defines responsibilities and expectations; sets goals and objectives; gives performance feedback; motivates for increased results; recognizes contributions; encourages training and development.
- Fosters team cooperation; defines team roles and responsibilities; supports group problem solving; ensures progress toward goals; acknowledges team accomplishments.
- Delegates work assignments; matches the responsibility to the person; gives authority to work independently; sets expectations and monitors delegated activities; provides recognition for results.
- Exhibits confidence in self and others; inspires and motivates others to perform well; effectively influences actions and opinions of others; accepts feedback from others; gives appropriate recognition to others.
- Includes staff in planning, decision-making, facilitating and process improvement; takes responsibility for subordinates' activities; makes self-available to staff; provides regular performance feedback; develops subordinates' skills and encourages growth; solicits and applies customer feedback (internal and external); fosters quality focus in others; improves processes, products and services.; continually works to improve supervisory skills.
- Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
- Displays passion and optimism; inspires respect and trust; mobilizes others to fulfill the vision; provides vision and inspiration to peers and subordinates.
- Understands business implications of decisions; displays orientation to profitability; demonstrates knowledge of market and competition; aligns work with strategic goals.
- Encourages open communications; confronts difficult situations; maintains objectivity; keeps emotions under control; uses negotiation skills to resolve conflicts.
Impact & Influence
- Pursues and wins support for ideas; displays ability to influence key decision-makers; achieves win-win outcomes; uses authority appropriately to accomplish goals; addresses divergent opinions.
Recruitment & Staffing
- Utilizes recruitment sources; presents positive, realistic view of the organization; analyzes and forecasts staffing needs.
- Works within approved budget; contributes to profits and revenue; conserves organizational resources.
- Demonstrates knowledge of EEO policy; shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences; educates others on the value of diversity; promotes a harassment-free environment; builds a diverse workforce.
- Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and principles; upholds organizational values.
- Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values; benefits organization through outside activities; supports affirmative action and respects diversity.
- Develops strategies to achieve organizational goals; understands organization's strengths & weaknesses; identifies external threats and opportunities; adapts strategy to changing conditions.
- Adapts to changes in the work environment; manages competing demands; changes approach or method to best fit the situation; able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Builds rapport and establishes trust; presents solutions that meet customer objectives; manages and documents sales process.
- Sets and achieves challenging goals; demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; measures self against standard of excellence; recognizes and acts on opportunities.
- Dresses appropriately for position; keeps self well groomed.
- Overcomes objections with persuasion and persistence; initiates new contacts; maintains customer satisfaction; maintains records and promptly submits information.
- Is consistently at work and on time; ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
- Follows instructions, responds to management direction; takes responsibility for own actions; keeps commitments; commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals.; completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Volunteers readily; seeks increased responsibilities; asks for and offers help when needed.
- Displays original thinking and creativity; meets challenges with resourcefulness; generates suggestions for improving work; develops innovative approaches and ideas; presents ideas and information in a manner that gets others' attention.
- Displays willingness to make decisions; exhibits sound and accurate judgment; supports and explains reasoning for decisions; includes appropriate people in decision-making process; makes timely decisions.
- Prioritizes and plans work activities; uses time efficiently; plans for additional resources; sets goals and objectives; organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; develops realistic action plans.
- Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; looks for ways to improve and promote quality; applies feedback to improve performance; monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Meets productivity standards; completes work in timely manner; strives to increase productivity; works quickly.
Safety and Security
- Observes safety and security procedures; reports potentially unsafe conditions; uses equipment and materials properly.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or one to three months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Over 3 months up to and including 6 months (excluding the orientation time required of a fully qualified worker to become accustomed to the special conditions of any new job).
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of JJS Human Resource systems; Internet software; Spreadsheet software and Word Processing software.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
01 First Aid Certificate
02 CPR Certification
03 Valid Driver License
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and taste or smell. The employee is occasionally required to sit and climb or balance. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move more than 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; moving mechanical parts; fumes or airborne particles and risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
The normal work schedule is 8.00 hours per day 5 days per week; exact schedules are assigned by management. It is the attendance standard of the employer that all employees be present and on time each shift they are scheduled to work. Full or partial absence during any scheduled shift, arriving late, or leaving early, for whatever reason, may result in disciplinary action up to and including termination of employment. Time off may be approved if allowed by applicable policies covering illness, injury, or other personal emergency.
Klamath County enforces a drug free work place. Successful applicants may be required to submit to drug testing.
Must pass a criminal background check in order to be eligible for employment.