Hydrologic Systems Support Analyst (Noaa)
Riverside Technology, Inc.
Silver Spring , MD 20901
Posted 1 week ago
This Job is not relevant Tell us why
Riverside Technology, inc. (Riverside), a leading international engineering and consulting firm providing scientific analysis, scientific applications development, systems engineering and GIS services to Federal agencies, international clients and state governments, is seeking a Hydrologic Systems Support Analyst for the National Weather Service (NWS) Office of Water Prediction in Silver Spring, Maryland, USA.
The Hydrologic Systems Support Analyst will be working with other members of the River Forecast Center (RFC) Support Group as well as hydrologic forecasters at the NWSs (13) RFCs to resolve problems/issues with the Community Hydrologic Prediction System (CHPS) during NWS flood and water resources modeling and forecasting activities.
- Provide specialized help-desk technical support whereby operational problems, issues, and questions are presented for resolution. Support will be provided in the form of problem tracking, problem analysis, and ultimately problem resolution for CHPS issues (a.k.a. tickets or cases) reported by the RFCs. This support can be provided by action taken on an RFC computer system, direct communication to RFC staff, or advice and instructions which address the reported problem. Communication may include direct phone conversations, e-mail, or software documentation. The help-desk problem resolution typically involves relatively specific issues reported with CHPS which often require prompt attention.
- Provide technical support for NWS projects associated with CHPS. This can include projects related to the CHPS software system environment, the CHPS hardware configuration, or the hydrometeorologic functions embodied within CHPS. The project support typically involves more general needs of the CHPS operations, and generally do not require immediate attention. These project outcomes result in more stable, more efficient operation of CHPS at RFCs.
- Provide technical guidance (written and verbal), training, and coordination of operational functions in a pro-active manner, including monitoring and preventative maintenance of systems executing the CHPS software suite. Collectively, these activities result in a support enterprise that promotes a high level of competence for operational readiness, competence, and awareness among RFC users of CHPS.
- Provide services to the NWS Hydrology Program in the form of technical support and guidance to address issues and needs related to the RFC CHPS operational suite of applications, databases, and functions.
- Support is required on issues that have a range of priority levels. The most urgent priority involves issues that require emergency, immediate attention, while other issues may require next-day, next-week, or only long-term resolution.
- Requires an undergraduate degree in a physical science curriculum in or related to hydrometeorology, plus 2 years of relevant experience.
- Requires strong knowledge of environmental modeling concepts and operations, including model definition, configuration, control and execution.
- Expected skills include use and design of distributed client-server solutions, industry standard data storage/encoding/sharing techniques, relational databases, and strong verbal and written communication.
- Competence with or ability to learn PostGreSQL, Firebird SQL, MySQL database servers, ActiveMQ application server, Web Server, SSL Authentication, SFTP, Apache Tomcat,Linux (file systems, virtualizations, recovery, security, network configuration and diagnostics, system load), Java Virtual Machine (JVM) management, Java RunTime Environment (JRE), Java Database Connectivity (JDBC), Zabbix performance monitoring.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to work as part of a team
- Must be detail-oriented and have the ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Must be able to pass a background investigation to obtain a security badge to enter the applicable government facility
Riverside is an Equal Opportunity Employer offering competitive compensation and exceptional employee benefits.