Health And Safety Supervisor
Valard Group Of Companies
Chicago , IL 60290
Posted 3 weeks ago
Valard, is Canadas premier utility contractor, as well as head of the Valard Group of Companies AND part of the Quanta Group, the largest electrical power contractor in North America. Valard has full-service capabilities for transmission, distribution, substations, foundations, telecommunications, and renewable energy.
The purpose of the Health, Safety & Environment (HS&E) Department is to Deliver a unified and proactive service which includes leadership, guidance and mentoring to create a world class safety culture. We are looking to hire a "Health and Safety Supervisor". Under the direction of their supervisor, the Health and Safety Supervisor will be responsible for providing support to the vice president USA Operations, construction manager, supervisors, foremen and workers in the field. This position is to provide leadership and coordination of the day-to-day safety requirements.
For all projects: The Safety Supervisor reports to the Regional Health & Safety Manager and the Regional Construction Manager.
As a Health and Safety Supervisor, you play an important role in ensuring that Valards safety culture has been established and adhered to. You will be required to familiarize yourself with related work procedures in order to monitor, audit and report your findings and corrective actions to your supervisor, as well as providing support, advice and administrative assistance with matters relating to safety, mentoring and coaching to the supervisors, foreman and workers in the field will all matters relating to Health and Safety.
- Be a visible presence and resource in the field.
- Good understanding of Valards Health Safety and Environmental Manual, and assist in the coaching, mentoring and implementation of the programs in the field.
- Regularly review and be familiar with all applicable legislation, and applicable standards.
- Provide a safe work environment for all Valard employees, contractors and visitors as per the Site Safety Management Plan (SMP).
- Provide safety support and coaching to all Site Managers, supervisors, and foreman.
- Inform the Construction Manager and supervision of any legislative changes within the projects time schedule.
- Incidents are reported immediately and notification to the Supervisor and Regional Safety Manager Immediately within 4 hours of the incident.
- Participate and assist the supervisors and foreman in the investigation of incidents to determine root cause, and corrective actions.
- Develop an accurate incident report, and forward to their supervisor for review. All final incident reports are required to be in the head office within 72 Hours.
- Corrective actions are followed up on and completed.
- Injured workers are offered modified duties and documentation has been completed. Monitor and follow up on modified workers in the field.
- Maintain an up to date journal daily.
- Verification and record keeping of field staff training and competencies.
- Safety obligations are carried out as per client agreement, and communicated to the Construction Manager and their supervisors.
- Develop and maintain good relations with client and client representatives and staff, inside and outside the company while ensuring Valards best interest.
- In conjunction with project management team, ensure new hires are orientated to the company and project, and all required documentation is complete.
- Protect company property and report any loss or vandalism immediately.
- Review tailboards daily to ensure that hazards are addressed and a mitigation process is in place; provide feedback to workers to assist them for compliance.
- Review all other documentation required to meet regulatory requirements, which include but are not limited to, fall protection plans, emergency response plan, blasters logbooks, confined space entry plans, lock out tag out plans to ensure compliance. Non-compliance must be reported to their supervisor immediately.
- Maintain a safety board with current postings including but not limited to: Health and Safety Policy, inspection and audit results, project hazard assessment, location of first aid, etc. is accessible to the all staff.
- As a minimum make available the following material on site: Valards HS&E Manual, the applicable state and/or federal legislation and regulations, site safety inspection forms, observation forms, tailboards and logbooks, fall protection plans, etc. Clients may have additional requirements that may need to be made available.
- Perform observations, inspections, emergency preparedness drills, as per the current HS&E Manual and review and communicate the findings via safety meetings and postings.
- Prepare for, and participate in audits such as ISO 45001, internal audits and/or Owner audits.
- Review field findings on a regular basis and report trends and consider appropriate corrective action plans.
- Maintain a corrective action log.
- Communicate and document any significant issues or concerns with the construction manager, supervisor, and foreman for development and implementation of corrective action path.
- Communicate, coach and assist field staff to ensure that all safety expectations are met.
- Facilitate safety meetings per HS&E Manual and/or that of our client and capture minutes and action items. Follow up on action items to completion. Post and forward to head office in a timely fashion.
- Prepare weekly and monthly safety reports.
- Liaise client expectations and negotiating toward successful results when issues arise.
- Liaise with corporate office and meet all necessary reporting requirements in a timely manner.
- Provide direction and support to ensure compliance with Valards policies and procedures; as well as those outlined by legislation and our clients.
- Other duties as required.
- Provide support to the supervisors and foreman to ensure that JSAs, SOPs, SWPs, SMPs and other policies and procedures are developed and reviewed with the crews and available at the work site.
- Participate in a regular meeting with project safety team to review issues, trends and upcoming conditions or events.
- Participate in and contribute by providing agenda items for the regular meetings with the Regional Health & Safety Manager.
- Degree, certification or designation in Safety
- OSHA 30-Hour Construction Course
- First-aid/CPR certification
- Valid Drivers License
- Minimum 5+ years health and safety experience
- Must possess a thorough knowledge of construction safety in industrial setting
- High voltage experience
- Experience in Microsoft office applications
- Ability to maintain a high level of accuracy and confidentiality
- Demonstrate high level of professionalism
- The ability to demonstrate the application of risk assessment to company operations and activities.
- Ability to travel throughout the United States. In addition, there will be requirements to travel to Canada for training purposes. This will be facilitated by fly in/out paid by the company.
Experience preferred in the following area:
- General Construction experience.
- Certifications including CSP, ASP, CHST, OHST, and/or CUSP.
- Understanding of DOT requirements and commercial fleet operations (e.g. vehicle permitting, HOS, etc.).
Physical Demands of the job may include:
- Moving about long distances
- Ascending/Descending stairs and ladders
- Remaining in a stationary position for a prolonged period of time
- Working in extreme weather
- Being exposed to loud noises
- Wearing personal protective gear correctly
Skills / Knowledge:
- Excellent Incident Investigation skills
- Effective communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to perform under stressful conditions
- Analytical skills
- Strategic thinker
- Strong decision-making and problem-solving skills
- Attention to detail with high level of accuracy
- Effective organizational skills
- Stress management skills
- Excellent time management skills
As a Health and Safety Supervisor you must maintain strict confidentiality in performing your duties. There will be at times, initiatives that the department may take on that will not come to light due to unforeseen circumstances, regulatory confinements or timelines. It is Valard Constructions policy to protect its trade secrets, customer lists and other confidential or proprietary information as vigorously as possible. He/She must also demonstrate the following personal attributes:
- Be honest and trustworthy
- Be respectful
- Possess cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Be flexible
- Demonstrate sound work ethics
- Be punctual
Monetary Renumeration and Work requirements:
- Base hourly wage will be proportional to level of qualifications, experience, and skill.
- Eligible for Overtime, LOA and/or Field Adder program. Discretion for appropriate program is up to the immediate supervisor.
- Shift based work. For example, 6/1schedule with a week off every 4 weeks.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Valard Construction LLC is an equal opportunity employer, committed to a diverse workforce. We offer a competitive salary and a complete range of employee benefits.
Please forward resume and cover letter in confidence to: http://www.valard.com/careers/
We thank all applicants for their interest. All applications will be reviewed to determine which candidates' education and experience best meets the needs of the position. Only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.