If you're both an animal lover and a people person, a position in one of our stores might be a great fit. We're looking for people with a strong commitment to helping pets and their parents experience their very best lives together. When you join us, you'll be part of a great team, working together to achieve sales goals while doing work you truly love.
Leads, trains and develops department level leaders and hourly store partners in all areas and functions required to run the store efficiently and to Petco standards. Ensures all partners provide quality service to satisfy the needs of Petco guests.
Demonstrates a high level of interest in the welfare, health, and proper handling of all animals. Ensures merchandise is properly priced, displayed and stocked according to inventory levels appropriate for the store. Completes and submits accounting, inventory management and payroll paperwork in a timely manner.
Ensures all expenses are maintained within budgeted levels. Maintains the store's appearance adheres to Petco operational standards and safety procedures. This job is composed of a variety of tasks, that are covered by general operating procedures but also requires extensive individual judgment to ensure successful operation of the store.
Regularly exercises discretion and independent judgment. Through the lens of our Petco Co-Values, the General Manager will have authority to make independent decisions on matters of consequence to the business and/or its guests free from immediate supervision and will make recommendations that are subject to final authority of a District General Manager or Regional Partner. Responsibilities will vary depending on the store size and location, the number of specialty departments, the sales volume, number of partners and the leadership structure. The Store Leader is responsible to ensure the store achieves the Petco established goals and metrics.
The incumbent must be able to consistently perform all the following duties and responsibilities with or without a reasonable accommodation.
Interacts professionally and effectively through verbal and written communication with all professional contacts with emphasis on company interests.
Hires, trains, develops, manages and motivates a team to drive sales through effective leadership and merchandising techniques as well as quality guest service. Accurately forecast and prepare for staffing and turnover needs in alignment with business demands.
Regularly direct all store partners on subjects including hiring, training and development, assignment delegation, scheduling and follow through, feedback and coaching, performance reviews and disciplinary action including separation when necessary.
Monitors partner promoter survey results and ensures department level leaders develop action plans.
Independently prioritizes and accomplishes multiple leadership tasks within established timeframes by effectively planning and managing workload, delegating work and supervising, monitoring and directing department level leaders and other partners.
Exercises sound business and personnel leadership skills.
Make effective recommendations with respect to partner separations and corrective action.
8.The General Manager will be expected to hear and resolve complaints including partner concerns (such as those regarding scheduling, co-worker disputes or disagreements, store merchandise or facilities issues, problems with guests) and non-routine guest complaints, including complaints about partners.
9.Facilitates appropriate partnership with Regional support to fully resolve matters involving harassment, discrimination, retaliation, theft or animal abuse.
10. Provides quick and courteous service to all guests by determining their needs, sharing product knowledge and suggesting the appropriate merchandise to satisfy their needs, utilizing GUEST+ engagement throughout the store.
11. Provides training and coaching in GUEST+ engagement and shares product knowledge to partners daily on the sales floor and on an ongoing basis.
12. Demonstrates and provides feedback and coaching on nutrition, Pals Rewards membership sign-up, Welcome to the Family and effective suggestive selling techniques for partners to increase sales.
13. Collaborates with store Partners to ensure an exceptional guest experience for all Omni-channel initiatives, to include but not limited to Instacart, Extended Aisle and Repeat Delivery.
14. Completes and submits all accounting, inventory management and payroll reports accurately and on time.
15. Conducts a reconciliation of daily grooming reports.
Inventory Control and Management
16. Make decisions regarding damaged or discontinued merchandise. This includes evaluating products to be returned to vendors for repair, refund or replacement and determining disposition of products that cannot be returned.
17. Coordinates and ensures completion of weekly screen corrections and zero counts.
18. Coordinates all periodic physical inventory counts.
19. Manages and controls ongoing Shrink concerns and ensures that all store leadership and partners understand their roles and responsibilities in reducing shrink.
20. Adheres to loss prevention policies.
Ensuring the Proper Healthcare, Appearance and Maintenance of Companion Animals
21. Ensure the health and well-being of live animals by providing the correct care in accordance with the established Petco standards, policies and procedures including the completion of the hourly animal health check and wellness cards.
22. Manages the appropriate stock levels of live animals and ensure a clean, healthy and safe environment for all animals and partners.
23. Adheres to Veterinary Protocol for all sick animals.
24. Performs cash counting, supervision of cashiers and cash register service to maximize guest experience and minimize loss of assets.
25. Ensures cashier drawers balance at the end of the shift, investigation of any shortages/overages (in partnership with Loss Prevention leaders), voiding and correcting cash register transactions and ensuring that bank deposits of store funds are completed accurately and in a timely manner and that all required paperwork has been correctly completed.
26. Conducts cash register operation in order to relieve cashiers during breaks and/or to ensure prompt guest service during busy sales periods or in the event of a shortage of cashiers on duty.
27. Ensures that sufficient precautionary steps are taken to reduce exposure to refund fraud including working and reviewing regularly the DLPR and Daily Cashier's Reports.
28. Maintains accountability for store credit card.
29. Ensures that the store is opened/closed in accordance with policies and procedures, especially those relating to safety and security. It also includes opening and closing the safe and assessing high-level security information.
30. Ensures that all security mechanisms, procedures, and systems are in intended working order at all times.
31. Assigns work tasks to store partners, oversee opening of cash registers, and troubleshoot problems with the store, equipment and partners.
32. Completes or ensures the completion of deposit worksheets, store sales logs and supply orders and oversees security of property before leaving store, secure bank deposits and ensure that related paperwork is completed in an accurate and timely manner.
33. The Store Leader will ensure the store is supervised by a member of leadership or a formally designated LOD key-holder (Leader on Duty).
34. Employs loss prevention strategies to ensure deposits arrive safely at the bank.
35. Manages store merchandising and independently make or participate in making decisions regarding store layout and displays, to enhance visual presentation of store and sales.
36. Makes merchandising decisions with consideration of visual standards, special ad set-up and monthly ad planner guidelines, adjusting these as necessary to best implement in each individual store.
Providing for Safety of Guests, Partners, Live Animals and Property
37. Provides direction for changes needed in store set-up and/or required clean-up to correct hazardous situations.
38. Ensures the health, proper handling and welfare of all animals according to policies and procedures, including completion of hourly animal check list and wellness cards.
39. Adheres to Veterinary Protocol for all sick animals.
40. Adheres to and promotes established safety procedures and maintenance of clean, safe and healthy environment for store partners, guests and animals.
41. Oversees the implementation of safety procedures and safety awareness program, safety monitoring, conducting safety meetings and maintaining records of safety training meetings, including topics discussed and attendance log.
42. Ensures all safety-related documentation is maintained in the store for a minimum of three years.
43. Conducts safety inspections and preparing monthly safety inspection reports.
Store Maintenance Oversight
44. Coordinates and assigns routine store maintenance tasks as required to maintain the professional image, appearance and cleanliness of the store, to include sweeping/mopping the floors, dusting, washing the windows, facing the merchandise on the shelves, and any other repairs required, etc.
45. Markets the store and its products, oversees planning of in-store and community events, such as adoptions, school visits and other local promotions and animal-welfare events.
46. Supervises and trains all partners to effectively boost sales volume.
47. Ensures that each partner and the store projects a professional image at all times and in all situations.
Job duties include leadership responsibility for the following:
Recruitment, hiring, training, development and daily supervision of all store partners, including subordinate leaders and hourly store partners to include assignment delegation, instruction, follow-through, periodic performance reviews, safety and disciplinary action including separations when necessary.
Demonstration of exemplary guest service skills and coaching of store partners on Company standards.
Meet and/or exceed sales goals and coach store partners on selling techniques through daily sales and promotional events.
Control of expenses, inventory, and profitability in accordance with budgetary guidelines.
Communication of irregular or problematic situations to appropriate leaders or department at the Support Center(s).
Adheres to and promotes established safety procedures and maintenance of clean, safe and healthy environment for store partners, guests and animals.
For CA leaders only, complete the CA Daily Inspection Report.
Facilitates all regulatory visits in accordance with policies and procedures
The majority of job duties are conducted indoors, although merchandise receiving, merchandise carry-outs, or stock balancing will require leaving the store briefly. This position requires bending, kneeling, moving merchandise and standing for long periods of time.
Must be able to lift 50 lbs and pull 2000 lbs utilizing material handling equipment. Improper use of safety equipment and/or not following proper lifting techniques may pose of risk of injury to customers, pets, and store personnel. Follow all safety precautions and procedures.
Education and Experience
Minimum high school diploma (its equivalency i.e. GED) or the equivalent work experience.
Some college level business/management courses preferred. One or more years of management experience and 5 years retail experience is preferred. A working knowledge of general business practices is highly desirable, as are strong organizational skills.
A qualified applicant will possess an aptitude for demonstrating basic sales techniques and the ability to instruct others in their application. A qualified applicant will be able to demonstrate proficiency in the areas of mathematics, basic accounting relationships, analysis and problem-solving skills. Excellence in communication and a proficiency in computer skills are also required.