General Manager, Regional Farm 1
Wilkes-Barre , PA 18711
Posted 3 days ago
Upward Farms designs and operates complete ecosystems of plants and fish in vertical farms, supplying these organic products to local grocers. In 2021, we opened a new company Headquarters and cutting-edge, fully automated production facility in Greenpoint, Brooklyn. In 2022, we announced that we are constructing the worlds largest vertical farm, a 250,000 sqft facility in Northeast Pennsylvania, opening in 2023. More and larger farms are in the works. Our mission is to heal the broken food system and reconnect eaters with flavorful and nutritious local food.
In this role, you will lead the operational planning and execution for our upcoming vertical farm under development in Eastern Pennsylvania, our Regional Farm for the US Northeast. This will be the largest vertical farm in the world, boasting state of the art technology and end-to-end automation. You will report to Operations leadership and work closely with the CEO, CTO, CFO, Controller, and QA Director, among other leaders. Your mandate is to achieve or exceed forecasted productivity, profitability, safety, and quality assurance across horticulture, aquaculture, processing / packaging, facilities and sanitation, and supply chain / logistics. During the current development period, you will work alongside leaders from across the organization to develop the organizational chart, reporting structure, hiring, and personnel development plans, as well as helping to establish operational standards across disciplines and translating those standards into schedules, SOPs, training plans, and other relevant deliverables.
Your objective is to plan, train, commission, ramp up, and continually operate this Regional Farm to achieve schedule, budgetary, and profitability targets. Success will emerge from hiring and managing a team focused on operational excellence and developing internal structures that ensure all Operations team members are supported in their jobs and mission. The Regional Farm in the US Northeast is our template for the farm we are seeking to stamp out across the US over the next 5 years. This is the first General Manager role for the ownership of a US Region / Regional Farm, giving you room to make this role your own and influence the national success of our business.
- Work departmental leaders to develop an organizational chart and hiring plan for our Regional Farm, including Farm Operations (horticulture and processing / packaging), Aquaculture, Facilities (includes sanitation), Supply Chain / Logistics, and supporting Business Operations.
- FP&A and P&L ownership for this Regional Farm, collaborating with CFO, Controller, and other Operations leaders for P&L rollups across the broader organization.
- Align with Sales & Marketing colleagues on demand planning and with QA & Product colleagues to pair the right products and specifications with each customer. Optimize operations to achieve that business plan.
- Work with Operations and Sales & Marketing colleagues fill customer orders on time and in full.
- Work with Regional Farm Operations leaders and teams to achieve production targets on time and on budget.
- Develop and maintain streamlined processes for Regional Farm shipping, receiving, inventory, and corresponding ERP data integrity.
- Identify cost savings and process improvements across operations.
- Coordinate Regional Farm operations and improvements with leaders across Farm Operations, Aquaculture, Software & Electronics, R&D, Construction Management, Facilities Maintenance.
- Work with Facilities Maintenance to ensure the physical infrastructure meets the needs of our operators and process specifications on an ongoing basis.
- Serve as a partner for other executives at the company to continually learn from Operations, improving technology, product, and profitability. Help to translate those learnings into future farms.
- Continually uphold the values of Food Safety, Quality Assurance, and Environmental Health and Safety.
- 5+ years in high growth operations leadership or management in manufacturing or warehousing facilities for perishable foods or CPG / consumer food industries.
- Experience structuring operations functions of 50+ people and concurrent direct coaching / management of 4+.
- Experience implementing quantitative performance management systems (e.g. KPIs, OKRs, SMART goals, operations metrics, etc.).
- Experience managing $30+ million budgets and P&Ls
- Goal oriented, supported by excellent deadline and process management.
- Strong, self-determined work ethic.
- Excellent listening, clear and concise oral and written communication.
- Question-driven, curious, open minded.
Preferred Skills + Experience
- A strong network in CPG or food operations.
- Experience in production or project management software systems (e.g. Asana, Wrike, Microsoft Project).
We offer a dynamic work environment and benefits that include:
- Equity participation to align individual and company long-term value creation.
- Aetna Medical, Aetna and MetLife Dental, and Aetna Vision insurance; FSA/HSA plans; and HIPAA-compliant health advocates. Upward Farms contributes 80-95% of the premium for Medical benefits for employees and their families.
- Up to 10 days paid sick leave. For extended illness, we offer disability leave.
- Up to 20 days paid time off per year, depending on experience, in addition to paid holidays.
- For new parents, an extension of New York States paid family leave for up to 12 weeks of fully paid parental leave. This leave is in addition to Disability leave available to pregnant and postpartum mothers.
- Commuter benefits, discounted bike share memberships, and other perks.
- Fresh salad, and lots of it!
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our needs are unique and varied so we value colleagues with diverse backgrounds. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, and/or protected veteran status.
Please note we do not provide immigration sponsorship for this position; applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis.