JOB OVERVIEW: Responsible for all aspects of assisting the Executive Chef in managing the kitchen and kitchen personnel, ensuring the quality preparation of all menu items and proper handling/ storage of all food items in accordance with standards. Coordinates the purchase of all food and develops menus, maintaining approved food costs and labor costs.
REPORTS TO: Executive Chef
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
a) House count
b) Forecasted covers for each outlet
c) Catering activity
g) VIPs/special guests
2) Maintain complete knowledge of and ensure staff's compliance with all departmental/hotel policies and procedures.
3) Assist the Executive Chef in establishing the day's priorities and assigning production and prep task to staff to execute.
4) Review daily specials and offer feedback to Sous Chefs.
5) Review banquet function sheets and make note of any changes; post function sheets for the next7 days.
6) Meet with Sous Chef to review schedules, assignments, anticipated business levels, changes and other information pertinent to the job performance.
7) Communicate additions or changes to the assignments as they arise throughout the shift. Identify situations, which compromise the department's standards and delegate these tasks.
8) Take physical inventory of specified food items for daily inventory.
9) Requisition the days supplies and ensure that they are received and stored correctly. Communicate needs with Purchasing and Storeroom personnel. Ensure quality of products received.
10) Meet with the Kitchen Manager to review equipment needs, banquet plate up assistance, cleaning schedule/project status, health/safety and sanitation follow up.
11) Ensure that staff report to work as scheduled; document any late or absent employees.
12) Coordinate breaks for staff.
13) Inspect grooming and attire of staff; rectify any deficiencies.
14) Check and ensure that all opening duties are completed to standard.
15) Ensure that each kitchen work area is stocked with specified tools, supplies and equipment to meet the business demand.
16) Ensure that recipe cards, production schedules, plating guides, photographs are current and posted.
17) Ensure that all staff prepares menu items following recipes and yield guides, according to department standards.
18) Assist with monitoring performance of staff and ensuring all procedures are completed to the department standards; rectify deficiencies with respective personnel.
19) Work on line during service and assist wherever needed.
20) Be aware of any shortages and make arrangements before the item runs out.
21) Ensure that F&B Service Staff are informed of86'd items and amount of available menu specials throughout the meal period.
22) Observe guest reactions and confer with service staff to ensure guests satisfaction.
23) Promote positive guests relations at all times.
24) Be familiar with all hotel services/features and local attractions/activities to respond accurately to any guests inquiry.
25) Monitor and handle guests complaints by following the instant pacification procedures and ensuring guests satisfaction.
26) Conduct frequent walkthrough of each kitchen area and direct respective personnel to correct any deficiencies. Ensure that quality and details are being maintained.
27) Inspect the cleanliness of the line, floor, and all kitchen stations. Direct staff to rectify any deficiencies.
28) Ensure that staff maintain and strictly abide by state sanitation/health regulations and hotel requirements.
29) Maintain proper storage procedures as specified by Health Department and hotel requirements.
30) Instruct staff in the correct usage and care of all machinery in the kitchen operation, stressing safety.
31) Complete work orders for maintenance repairs and submits to Engineering. Contact Engineering directly for urgent repairs.
32) Assist the Executive Chef with developing new menu items, testing and writing recipes.
33) Assist Catering department with developing special menus for functions; meet with clients as requested.
34) Review sales and food cost daily; resolve any discrepancies with the Executive Chef and the Controller.
35) Minimize waste and maintain controls to attain forecasted food and labor costs.
36) Ensure that excess items are utilized efficiently.
37) Monitor and ensure that all closing duties are completed to standard before staff signs out.
38) Foster and promote a cooperative working climate, maximizing productivity and employee morale.
39) Assist with overseeing and directing training of new hires in specified phases of the kitchen operation, and with maintaining an on-going training program for existing staff.
40) Provide feedback to staff on their performance; handle disciplinary problems and counsel employees according to hotel standards.
41) Assist with scheduled performance appraisals.
42) Assist with interviewing and hiring new personnel according to hotel policies and standards.
43) Assist with preparing weekly work schedules for all kitchen personnel in accordance with staffing guidelines and forecasted labor costs. Adjust schedules throughout the week to meet business demands.
44) Assist with preparing daily/weekly payroll reports.
45) Document pertinent information in the logbook and follow up on items notated during other shifts.
46) Successful completion of the training/certification process.
Since 1947, The Colony Palm Beach has been the center of Palm Beach social life hosting-- U.S. Presidents, European Royalty and discriminating travelers from around the world. Be part of a historic, luxury boutique hotel exhibiting polished charm and ambiance only steps away from world-famous shopping and dining on Worth Avenue and the crystal blue waters of the Atlantic Ocean.
For more information visit
The Colony Hotel