Santa Barbara , CA 93140
Posted 1 week ago
El Encanto, a luxury hotel, has been meticulously restored to capture all the romance and glamour that endeared it to both the local Santa Barbara community and visitors alike. Ninety-two quintessential, California-styled suites and bungalows dot the lush, terraced grounds featuring seven-acres of gloriously landscaped gardens with sweeping views of Santa Barbara and the Pacific Ocean. Original architectural features have been lovingly restored, including the historic, trellis-lined Arbor and Lily Pond. Modern additions to the expansive outdoor zero-edge pool and a new beautifully appointed boutique spa enhance the journey for todays luxury-seeking guest.
We are seeking a dynamic Executive Chef to be responsible for overall operational management of entire culinary and personnel of kitchen staff. This exceptional leader will promote Mission Statement, product and service standards, and marketing goals of Belmond El Encanto.
Main duties and responsibilities include to plan, organize, direct, and control the following facets of the food and beverage department:
- Entire food
- Handling kitchen receiving, storage, rotation, utilization
- Development of food related Standards of Procedures.
- Write all food product purchasing specifications.
- Employee Training, Review, and Development
- Enforcement of job descriptions
- Direct Subordinate annual performance review
- Staff morale and safety training
- Highest standards of food product and kitchen sanitation, storage, and handling procedures.
- Food product quality, nutritional, and portion control standards.
- Technical culinary food production and service standards.
- Standardization (by department and product position) of: all menu and food production recipes, and finished product specifications.
- Conduct menu tastings.
- Full Banquet and Outlet menu development (including wine pairing) with product presentation specifications:
- Banquet / Catering
- Employee Cafeteria
- Hospitality Food Amenities
- Holiday, Promotional and Staff Event Menus
- Bar/Lobby Lounge
- Pool Bar
- In-Room Dining
- High Tea
- Review and approve weekly labor scheduling
- Staff meetings and daily line and product briefings
- Equipment Maintenance
- Operational Troubleshooting and Problem Solving
- Budgetary forecasting and analysis
- Food and Kitchen Staff Labor Costs
- Computation of all Recipe Costs
- Complete Management Project and Report Assignments
- Manages 2 primary subordinates supervisors: Sous Chef, and Pastry Supervisor. Is responsible for the overall direction, coordination, an evaluation of these units. Also directly supervises non-supervisory employee Dining Room Cooks/Attendants.
- Act as culinary ambassador for Belmond El Encanto and participate in associated marketing and media activities.
- Use utilities and resources in a responsible manner to control wastage.
- Communicate relevant information to the department, your line manager and across departments, as appropriate.
- Comply with safe working practices, Health and Safety policy and ensure accidents/defects are reported immediately.
- Attend learning and development courses and complete eLearning modules, as required.
- Demonstrate and be a role model of Belmonds core values of Care, Confidence, Curiosity and Community.
- Requires a Bachelor's degree in culinary arts, hotel management, business or a relevant field of work, or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience. Minimum three years of culinary experience in a similar position with a luxury 5-star property.
- Demonstrated experience in organizing, planning and executing from conception through implementation
- Must be able to perform job functions with attention to detail, speed and accuracy, and evaluate and select among alternative courses of action
- Must work well in stressful high-pressure situations and maintain composure and objectivity
- Must be effective in handling problems in the workplace including anticipating preventing identifying and solving problems as necessary.
- Be a clear thinker, remaining calm and resolving problems using good judgment
- Understand guest service needs, and be effective at listening to understanding clarifying and resolving the concerns and issues raised by guests and staff
- Demonstrated experience in leading and developing people and ability to understand and train employees on luxury service standards
- Build strong team rapport
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, Spanish skills are helpfull
- Solid presentation skills conveying information and ideas clearly
- Knowledge of hotel/resort operations including marketing/sales principles
- Understanding of hospitality industry trends, performance metrics
- Good arithmetic functions and understanding of financial analysis (profit/loss, cash flow, etc.) in order to drive revenue and make decisions affecting the finances of the business.
- Requires knowledge of Health Department regulations and working knowledge of hotel point of sales systems
Belmond El Encanto offers a full array of benefits, including medical, dental and vision coverage. In addition, the company pays for basic life and AD&D as well as short term disability. Team members can choose additional coverage to include voluntary life/AD&D, spouse life/AD&D, dependent life, critical care, hospital indemnity, accident and flexible spending.
The Company offers paid time off, sick pay, a 401(k) program with Company matching, and an employee assistance program. Team members enjoy free cafeteria meals and discounts on food and beverage, spa treatments, and retail boutique items.
The Discovering Belmond program offers complimentary accommodation for team members while on leisure travel outside their region at any Belmond hotel and resort. It also offers food and beverage at a discounted rate. In addition to the complimentary offerings, discounted rates are available for safaris, trains and cruises.