Electrical Engineer - Power Electronics
Redwood City , CA 94063
Posted 3 weeks ago
This Job is not relevant Tell us why
Who we are:
Airity Technologies is a startup spun out of Stanford University with the goal of disrupting the high voltage market and enabling novel products across several industries, including semiconductor, aerospace, telecommunications, and medicine. Our proprietary and patented technology, developed through research in the area of high-frequency power electronics, spans high voltage dc and radiofrequency (RF) products. We have grown organically through strategic partnerships while further developing our product and IP portfolio.
Airity employs a team of talented engineers and scientists who have the background and knowledge to develop new technologies and bring them to the market. Our products and services cover a range of industries, including semiconductor manufacturing tools, satellite propulsion, and aerospace applications, medical devices, lighting, environmental applications, and academic research.
Airity is seeking an electrical engineer to design, test, and build novel high-frequency power electronics systems that push the limits of existing industry capabilities. Responsibilities include:
- Design and build high-frequency power electronics, including circuit design and modeling.
- Start to finish ownership of hardware from specification to design, prototype, reliability validation and high-volume manufacturing
- Implementation of advanced PCBs and magnetics.
- Testing and analysis.
- Digital controller design and feedback algorithm development.
- Firmware development.
- Collaborate with mechanical, PCB layout, and firmware engineering teams to successfully to design, validate and manufacture power supplies.
- Architecture and modeling of new power supply topologies that achieve better performance.
- Report on status of development, quality and performance to management.
- BS degree in Electrical Engineering, or the equivalent in experience and evidence of exceptional ability
- 2+ years of relevant hands-on hardware experience in power supply (AC/DC, DC/DC & DC/AC) design
- Strong understanding of power electronics topologies (AC/DC, DC/DC & DC/AC).
- Experience with high voltage power semiconductor selection (Si/SiC/GaN MOSFETs, Diodes), gate drive and protection circuit design
- Understanding of switching waveforms, Semi-conductor losses and experience with loss modeling.
- Understanding of the theory and application of magnetics (inductors, transformers) and capacitors (electrolytic, film and ceramic) used for power conversion.
- Experience with design analog/digital circuits and microprocessors.
- Familiar with schematic capture and power converter circuit simulation tools.
- Experience in supervision of PCB layout for minimal stray inductance and capacitance, placement strategies for better manufacturability, power/signal plane definition and EMC optimization.
- Proficiency with basic EE tools (Oscilloscopes, Network analyzers, Signal Generators, Altium PCB Software, etc.).
- Proficiency soldering.
- Proficiency with Python coding and data analysis.
- Experience with Root Cause Analysis (RCA) and able to troubleshoot and debug complex circuits with ease.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
Nice to Have
- MSEE or Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering.
- Awareness of UL and CE electrical safety requirements and EMC requirements relevant to the design of power supplies.
- Knowledge in environmental, reliability, and safety requirements for Medical, Industrial, and Aerospace applications.
- Knowledge of basic control theory and experience with embedded programming
- Experience in radiofrequency (RF) circuits engineering.
- Experience selecting and working with contract manufacturers locally and abroad.
- Startup experience.
- Experience owning and managing a Bill of Materials (BOM).
- Experience in high-voltage circuits, RF engineering, feedback and control, and embedded systems.
- Experience with 13.56 MHz RF generators for plasma generation.
- Competitive salary
- Health benefits
- 401k program
- Vacation time
Working with us:
We are building things that were once considered impossible, so it is challenging and exciting work. You will work in collaboration with a dedicated team and impressive clients. We operate under aggressive timelines, but you will have ownership of your work and your schedule. Our founding team has worked together for a long time, and we are continuously adding talented and motivated team members. We have an office in Redwood City, CA. We seek a person who shares our values and is a good fit within our group. Your opinions regarding the direction of the company, the projects we work on, and future hires will be highly valued. You will be working with PhD-level engineers who have multiple patents to their name. However, rather than focusing on credentials or specific industry experience, we are interested in outstanding talent with the ability to be creative and get things done. You will be paid a highly competitive salary and be well rewarded upon the success of ongoing projects.