Director Patient Safety
CRS Medical Staffing & Services LLC
Pasadena , Texas 77501
- Prevent future harm by initiating and overseeing proactive evaluation and redesign of systems to improve care processes (e.g. forcing functions, checklists, error causation thinking, human factors, applied informatics, culture).
- Support improved outcomes by emphasizing both appropriate behaviors and robust systems that include concise accountability measures and follow-up.
- Improve consistent delivery of evidence-based care and reduction in preventable harm by focusing on reliability and applying the principles of reliable design.
- Reduce variation in care delivery. Partner with the Patient Safety Organization to explore identified variations when appropriate.
- Utilize alerts and best practices (e.g. Sentinel Event Alerts) to perform gap assessments and implement strong actions that will alleviate identified gaps.
- Effectively report, investigate, and analyze patient safety incidents, medical errors and potential risks in the facility.
- Facilitate thorough and credible serious event analysis that result in strong sustainable improvement strategies.
- Facilitate thorough and credible failure mode effect analysis to identify and mitigate unintended adverse patient outcomes and evaluate effectiveness of process changes.
- Perform Patient Safety Rounds that identify patient safety risks. Empower staff to identify and participate in resolution of patient safety concerns.
- Coordinate disclosure of serious events to patients and/or families in accordance with organizational policy and regulations.
- Assure timely reporting of Patient Safety Work Product (PSWP) to the Patient Safety Organization.
- Actively participate in PSO learning collaboratives. Ensure implementation of best practices, alerts, and updates to drive patient safety improvement.
- Champion completion of Culture of Safety Survey.
- Facilitate analysis of culture of safety survey results such that data-driven action plans lead to targeted outcomes.
- Support and encourage harm reporting throughout the organization through a nonpunitive just event reporting system.
- Provide feedback that acknowledges both the value of event reporting and review of reported events.
Bachelors Degree in Healthcare related field required, Master's degree preferredLicensure/Certification/Registration
Certification in Patient Safety (CPPS) required; If not already CPPS, must obtain certification within first year of hire.
TeamSTEPPS Master Trainer required; If not already a Master Trainer, must obtain certification within first year of hireExperience/ Skills:
Three to five years healthcare experience in patient safety, risk, and/or quality preferred. Healthcare experience should be recent and within a clinical setting such as Hospital, Ambulatory Surgery Center, etc.
Clinical background required.
Demonstrates good organizational skills; tendency to be organized, planful and structured
Knowledge of patient safety science principles, theory, methods, standards and regulatory requirements
Superior interpersonal skills (developing and maintaining positive relationships; communicating clearly and effectively with people at all levels with verbal and nonverbal communication; working with others to identify, define and solve problems)
Strong leadership qualities (task completion, motivation, organization)
Knowledge of and experience with patient safety analysis techniques (methods) Proven team building skills in dealing with intra-professional clinical and operations teams including medical staff in diverse settings
Advanced computer skills with word processing and database competency.
Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Demonstrated ability to deliver educational and informational presentations on clinical and/or patient safety topics.
Ability to inspire others to believe in the culture of patient safety. Effective change agent.
Information management skills including flowcharting, data analysis and report preparation.
Knowledge of rapid cycle improvement theory