Director Of Design & UX
Wowza Media Systems
Golden , CO 80401
Posted 3 months ago
Wowza's 30,000+ customer base is growing, and we are looking for a Director of Design & UX to take it's award-winning software to the next level for live video streaming. Working side by side with product leaders and engineers from the beginning to end of the product building cycle, you'll lead all things design and ux across the entire platform.
We pride ourselves in being customer-centric and making the complicated simple. We are looking for teammates who will drive essentialism.
"Do less, better," and make the best contribution. Wowza is a product-driven company, where you can get excited about doing your best work in a fast-paced, balanced environment.
What you'll do:
- Collaborate. Provide design leadership through the entire software development process.
- Research. Then ideate, design, iterate, and ship.
- Listen. We emphasize regular communication with our customers (at least 2x a week minimum) to solicit feedback, learn about pain points, and spot opportunities.
- Own & drive. You will own and drive the team responsible for design and ux decisions.
- Iterate quickly. We believe in shipping, getting feedback, and making updates. "Done is better than perfect" allows us to remain customer-focused.
- Challenge us. We regularly ask, "Are we focused on the riskiest, most critical assumptions?" about any work.
What you'll work on:
- Build a design team over time. Recruit, onboard, coach, and inspire talented UX + UI designers of all levels of experience.
- Lead a team to design products that drive usability and design excellence.
- Lead cutting-edge design for dashboards that involve real-time analytics. For example, live video streaming across the world from the camera to players around the globe.
- Redesign products and build design frameworks to connect all our major products into one SaaS platform for live video streaming workflows, real-time analytics, and hybrid UI and API workflows.
- Developer experiences and portals. Our platform is used by tens of thousands of developers around the world. Designing a simple, intuitive developer portal for easy and intuitive access to robust APIs is a current initiative.
- Figuring out the right data, and the proper context, to present to the right level of information and functionality to customers.
What you'll bring:
- A customer-first attitude.
- Ownership. You'll lead design decisions and lead other designer's coaching, mentoring, and collaboration.
- Organization. You'll design, recruit, and conduct customer interviews and usability tests.
- Leadership. You'll define team needs, lead the recruitment and development of the design team.
- Iteration. You will wireframe and prototype ideas quickly to demonstrate and validate designs with customers.
- Design talent. You'll create intuitive low and high fidelity designs to communicate your ideas.
- Lifelong learning. You learn new skills and grow through personal development.
- Excellent communication. You'll be an excellent communicator of your work, your team's work, and your rationale behind proposals.
You should have:
- 6+ years in enterprise-scale SaaS design, with at least three years of experience managing a team of designers.
- A strong track record of concept design and direction for complex software products.
- Experience communicating and collaborating with engineers, product managers, customers, and company leadership.
- Initiative that inspires others in team environments.
- A portfolio that clearly outlines the problems you solved with your and your team's design work.
Your portfolio will:
- Communicate the processes you applied during the work.
- Be well structured and clear.
- Focus on designing software products.
You don't need:
- Mastery of every design tool. We prefer Figma for ease of collaboration, but if you've never used it before, don't worry.
- A degree in design. We value real-world experience with a track record of results.
Who We Are
Wowza Media Systems is a streaming software, cloud services, and hardware provider aimed at powering live streaming for todays most innovative companies. We frequent Streaming Medias list of Companies That Matter Most in Online Video and Readers Choice Awards, as well as Built in Colorados list of Best Medium Workplaces (with a 4.8 rating on Glassdoor).
Cofounders David Stubenvoll and Charlie Good first set out to create cool stuff with like-minded people in 2005. In the fourteen years that have followed, Wowzas become the gold standard for streaming. One third of content delivery networks (CDNs) have Wowzas technology built in and more than 35,000 organizations across the globe have powered their streaming with Wowza.
With adoption rates exploding, use cases proliferating, and video quality increasing, the streaming industrys influence on everyday life continues to grow. And when it comes to live video, one thing rings true: If you can dream it, the experts at Wowza can help you build it.
Why Work for Wowza
Wowzas global team is headquartered in the foothills of Colorado, with plenty of parking and where the deer, elk, and buffalo roam. Generous PTO and paid holidays, a healthy work-life-balance, and a 401K that vests immediately are among the many reasons we love working here.
The tight-knit crew benefits from a dog-friendly workplace, unlimited snacks, catered lunches, holiday parties, and more. Employees are encouraged to take ownership of their role with limited oversight and coworkers are happy to help one another out.
Wowzas team also works to connect the larger community with our passion for tech. From live-streaming graduation ceremonies for local high schools to participating in events like SheTech, employees are able to cultivate the same creative energy that first brought the company to life.
Wowza Media Systems is an equal opportunity employer, committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment for all people to thrive in.