Director Of Business Affairs In Huntington Beach, CA Location
San Francisco , CA 94102
Posted 2 months ago
This Job is not relevant Tell us why
Innocean is a full-service advertising agency and we are looking for a talented individual to join our team Director of Business Affairs in beautiful Huntington Beach, California.
This position is primarily responsible for managing all business and legal aspects of producing content and commercials for HMA/GMA and new business clients.
Business Affairs creates the estimate, generates the purchase orders, processes invoices, handles contracts/agreements and 3rd-party clearances, estimates talent session and residual fees, negotiates licensed music, assists with voice-over searches, processes talent holding fees, and finalizes the jobs. Works closely with Producers, Account Team, Creative and Finance Departments. This position is a working Director, meaning that in addition to managing the Business Affairs group, this person will also be responsible for managing projects.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Key Role Responsibilities
- Work with Producers and EVP (cost consultant) on national broadcast productions, behind-the-scenes videos and digital components.
- Partner with EVP on all production estimates and talent session estimates. Discuss proper handling of certain situations that arise with vendors and unforeseen issues on the set of a commercial shoot, have conversations on how best to handle talent casting and SAG claims, and assist with any billing inquiries during the production and final billing of a job.
- Prepare production-related purchase orders and contracts covering: production, editorial, car prep, insurance, music, stock footage, animation and other 3rd-party licenses.
- Digital extensions - involves working closely with the digital team on videos, web content and interactive elements. Secure all possible outlets/options upfront for talent and licensed music resulting in cost savings to the client.
- Procure celebrity talent - from research on availability and terms to the final deal memo.
- Negotiates a fair and reasonable agreement with talent agents when the commercial's maximum period of use has expired and the talent elects to renegotiate.
- Research music compositions or recordings for upcoming spots to see if track is available for licensing. Work to procure synchronization and master rights, if needed. Assess related costs for proposed use, including payment of any applicable SAG, AFTRA and AFM residuals.
- Register all original music with our payroll company, Talent Partners, to ensure client receives their share of ASCAP and BMI performance rights revenues.
- Rights Acquisition - handle everything from research to final negotiations for commercial use of film clips, use of film in print, quoting published authors, or acquiring publicity rights.
- Attend commercial shoots when necessary to ensure the proper SAG guidelines are followed. From advising on talent rules and regulations for the specific categories, to answering Producer and production questions, and managing the proper signing of the talent contracts and forms on set.
- Secures all possible options upfront for talent and licensed music providing cost savings to the client.
- Ensures Business Affairs works with the Producer to provide accurate production estimates.
- Confirms there is a client-signed estimate before issuing or processing POs and invoices.
- Ensure invoices are accurate and reflect the correct estimated amount.
- Reviews status of production job to stay within budget.
- Provides guidance on the most cost-effective ways of hiring talent for a project and how it affects the residual budgets.
Skills and Abilities
+ Must be client facing
- Solid knowledge of SAG, AFTRA and AFM union contracts.
- Experience managing a team.
- Familiar with legal and clearance issues.
- Thorough understanding of broadcast production.
- Excellent communications skills, written and verbal.
- Ability to negotiate.
- Need to have a problem-solving attitude.
- Be organized and able to multitask.
- Individual must be able to remain calm during stressful situations while managing urgent deadlines.
Experience and Education
- Minimum of five years experience in Business Affairs.
- BA/BS Degree preferred.
- Strong computer skills in Word, Excel and PowerPoint a plus.
- Knowledge of the Talent Partners payment system including the holding fee Cerno component.
- Fun and fast-paced agency environment
- Lots of individual autonomy & rewards for merit and creativity
- Be part of a close-knit and exciting team & growing agency
- Enjoy catered happy hour every Thursday and breakfast on Fridays
- Full-time Barista on-site
- Amazing views of the Pacific Ocean by the pier in HB
- 100% paid Medical, Dental and Vision Premiums
- Generous PTO