Director Of Accounting
Cambridge , MA 02138
Posted 3 weeks ago
Who is BlueRock?
BlueRock Therapeutics, a wholly-owned and independently operated subsidiary of Bayer AG, is a leading engineered cell therapy company using its unique CELL+GENE platform to direct cellular differentiation and genetically engineer cells to create a new generation of cellular medicines that address large patient populations suffering from neurological, cardiovascular, and immunology diseases.
The convergence of cell biology and genetic engineering is creating fundamental new ways to impact disease. Founded in 2016 to capitalize on these technological breakthroughs, we are advancing our novel CELL+GENE platform to develop, manufacture, and deliver an entirely new generation of authentic and engineered cell therapies across three therapeutic areas: neurology, cardiology, and immunology.
What Are We Doing?
Our foundational science harnesses the ability to create and then direct the differentiation of universal pluripotent stem cells into authentic, functional cells that can be used as allogeneic cellular therapies to treat a broad array of diseases. We can also further engineer these cells, enabling them to produce enzymes, antibodies, and other proteins for additional therapeutic benefit.
We are passionate about delivering on the promise of cellular and gene therapy, shaping the future of cellular medicine and delivering new therapies to millions of patients with treatment options.
We are seeking individuals who are collaborative, thrive in a fun and dynamic culture, and are steadfast in the commitment to advance cutting-edge cellular therapies to impact patients lives.
Description of Position:
Reporting to the VP of Finance, you will be responsible for overseeing the accounting and financial reporting functions at BlueRock. The Director of Accounting will implement and maintain a system of internal controls that will ensure that company assets are adequately safeguarded and that all financial reporting is prepared in compliance with US GAAP. You will manage all accounting functions including accounts payable, payroll, general ledger, fixed assets, revenue recognition, cash management, tax and equity.
- Ensure that company financial records are maintained in compliance with company policies and US GAAP. Completely responsible for the accuracy and integrity of the companys financial data.
- Direct management of a small team of four accountants. Responsible for continued coaching, cross training and development of the staff.
- Close the companys books efficiently, timely and accurately. Implement process improvements to streamline and automate various accounting tasks. Prepare consolidated financial reports for internal and external parties.
- Provide technical accounting GAAP guidance and support. Proactively understand and implement new accounting rules and regulations.
- Work closely with IT to ensure that the ERP accounting system operates optimally. Will be involved in validating/designing suggested changes to ensure accounting requirements continue to be met.
- Develop and maintain policies and procedures that provide effective internal control and protect the company assets.
- Manage the annual audit of the companys financial records. Implement agreed upon recommendations, related to areas of responsibility, resulting from the audit findings.
- Supervise the completion of Federal and State tax reporting requirements (including income, property, sales and use, payroll and other local taxes), insurance reports and other reports required by government regulation.
- Minimum of a Bachelors degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration or similar field is required
- CPA is required
- MBA is preferred
- Minimum of 8 years of combined Public Accounting and Private Industry accounting experience is required
- Life Sciences (biotechnology, pharmaceuticals, medical device) industry experience is strongly preferred
- Experience in a start-up environment is a strong plus
- Strong knowledge of US GAAP, internal controls and financial reporting is required
- Experience managing a small team of direct reports is required
- Demonstrated ability to form, lead and develop high-performing teams
- Ability to work collaboratively across departmental functions
- Excellent communication and leadership skills are mandatory
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel is required
- Experience working with an ERP accounting system preferred (especially Microsoft Dynamics 365)
- Strong interpersonal and written and verbal communication skills including the ability to effectively communicate clearly and concisely with all levels
- Demonstrated problem-solving and analytical skills
- Ability to manage and complete projects with time constraints
- Ability to successfully work independently and within a team environment
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of sensitive information
- In this position, you may be required to work outside normal working hours (evenings/weekends), especially around board meetings and the year end audit, as BlueRock builds organizational and system resources.
- Travel of approximately 20% to New York City and Toronto will be required
Equal Opportunity Workplace:At BlueRock, we welcome and support differences and diversity and we are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. Please let us know if you require disability-related accommodation or other grounds protected by human rights legislation during the recruitment process so that we can work with you to meet your needs.