Director, Data Engineering
New York , NY 10001
Posted 2 weeks ago
This Job is not relevant Tell us why
605 is an independent TV measurement and analytics firm that offers advertising and content measurement, full-funnel attribution, media planning, optimization and analytical solutions. Comprised of engineers, analysts, data scientists, media experts and marketing strategists, 605 forges new paths using groundbreaking innovations that set industry standards for audience targeting and measurement.
The Director of Data Engineering at 605 must be a hands on engineering leader with broad and deep data skillset who can spearhead multiple concurrent data initiatives to meet business goals and improve existing data processing pipelines. Efforts will be focused on:
- Advising on and designing product enabling data solutions.
- Drive product critical, fast cycle POC work.
- Oversee productionization of POC work as needed.
- Explore and assess new data sources.
- Oversee implementation efforts by leading and managing teams.
- Gain additional insights from available data sets, working with Product/Data Science when appropriate.
- Work closely with Product and Data Ops to set requirements, assess and onboard new data sets as well as extract insights based on business requirements.
- Find improvements and help keeping the data pipelines in efficient, resilient and well-tuned state with the goal of reducing processing related infrastructure efforts and expenses, saving both time and money for the company.
- Be the steward of the data ecosystem, getting buy-ins from all stakeholders for enhancements and cleanup/organizational improvements of the data throughout the company.
- Be the technical partner for non-data-engineering teams (product, data science, client analytics and the rest of engineering) with their data needs/requirements, actively participating in all phases, from inception of the idea to production release.
- Derive efficient approaches to meet business/product goals for data as well as general engineering efforts.
- Oversee the conversion of POC work into scalable, maintainable and performant production ready data pipelines. This includes designing architecture, implementation as well as providing important updates throughout the project lifecycle.
- Identify and foster learning opportunities for data engineering through establishing a data engineering guild with the goal of maintaining knowledge on the latest developments in relevant technologies, establishing software best practices by organizing regular internal and external professional meetups as well as technical conference attendance.
- Grooming and mentoring team members via constructive feedback, encouragement and leveraging strengths of individual members of the team to increase confidence, autonomy, and productivity. Empower team to be outspoken and accountable.
- Drive data engineering recruiting efforts, leverage industry connections to broaden the talent pool of qualified candidates and maintain high standards for hiring.
- Experience wrangling terabytes of big, complicated, imperfect data using scalable data processing frameworks such as Apache Spark, AWS products (Redshift, EMR, S3, Glue, IAM, RDS, etc.).
- Basic understanding of statistics and experience with statistical packages such as R, Matlab, SPSS, etc.
- You have a deep understanding of scalable systems and you have large-scale engineering experience in an Agile development environment.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related field (or 4 additional years of relevant work experience).
- A strong understanding of data structures, algorithms, and effective software design
- Significant development experience with a major modern language (e.g. Scala, Python, Ruby, C/C++, etc.).
- Significant experience working with structured and unstructured data at scale and comfort with a variety of different stores (key-value, document, columnar, etc.) as well as traditional RDBMSes and data warehouses.
- Experience writing unit, functional and end to end tests.
- Comfort with version control systems (e.g. Git, SVN).
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; must work well in an agile, collaborative team environment.
- Comprehensive health and dental insurance for employees and their families
- Life insurance
- 401k with match, eligible for match after one year
- Pre-tax flexible compensation plan for medical, transit, parking or dependent care expenses
- PTO & Sick daysif youre sick, you stay home
- Work-from-home Fridays
- A kitchen stocked with sodas, snacks, yogurt and other goodies
- A tight-knit startup community who likes to eat! We celebrate everyones birthdays, have frequent team lunches, and do events in and out of the office
- 605 is an active participant in conferences