Dir, Environmental Health & Safety
Lyell Immunopharma, Inc.
Seattle , WA 98101
Posted 6 months ago
At Lyell, our vision is to develop curative cell-based immunotherapies for solid tumor cancers. We have innovative science originating from our founders world class labs and a unique and disruptive approach to research and development. Our company is first and foremost focused on understanding the science. We are a learning organization, dependent on deep collaborative relationships between all of our colleagues, partners and founders. Our culture is based on Respect, Science, Courage and Intensity, and it reflects who we are and the environment we are creating.
The Director of Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S) will provide leadership and direction for establishing Lyells EH&S strategic vision, direction, and infrastructure. The position will be responsible for the design, development, implementation, and management of all environmental health & safety functions to serve Lyells strategic and tactical needs at both Seattle and South San Francisco sites. Candidates will be considered in both Seattle and South San Francisco.
- Establish all aspects of Lyells corporate EH&S programs, including policies, procedures, and basic governance to ensure compliance with local, state, and federal regulations as well as industry standard practices and expectations
- Maintain all EH&S related licenses, permits and inspection reports, including those related building and fire codes, wastewater discharge and environmental codes, and laboratory and manufacturing practices
- Develop and implement safety training programs for all Lyell employees
- Provide review, consultation, and oversight of any/all contractor safety programs
- Manage the investigation, corrective actions, and reporting of incidents and accidents
- Analyze, audit, and inspect workplace environments (e.g. office, warehouse, laboratory, and manufacturing) to identify compliance issues, potential health and safety risks, and continuous improvement opportunities
- Be the primary point-of-contact for company related health and safety issues and emergencies, including on-call events
- Direct the planning, response, and recovery operation for emergency situations and disaster recovery and coordinate the development and implementation of appropriate response plans
- Develop and present compliance tracking programs and metrics
- 12+ years related experience in direct EH&S management and systems development
- Expert level knowledge and application of environmental health and safety regulations and familiarity with EH&S regulatory agencies protocols (e.g. OSHA, NIH, EPA, DEP, etc.)
- Direct experience with laboratory and manufacturing practices in the biotechnology, life sciences, or health care industry
- Proven experience in building and implementing EH&S infrastructure, programs, and policies
- Expertise in chemical hygiene, industrial hygiene, biological safety, and ergonomic programs
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment
- Attention to detail and follow-through
- Known in the industry as having unreasonably high standards
- Demonstrated ability to execute; strong bias for action
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communications skills, including effective platform presentation skills and training delivery skills; ability to mentor and lead others
- Bachelors degree (BA/BS) or equivalent in EH&S Management, Engineering, Engineering Sciences, or related discipline.
At Lyell, we believe that highest performing teams include people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences who respectfully challenge each other. We are committed to building an open, diverse and inclusive culture for all employees.
Weve learned from experience that some of the best people dont always match our requirements perfectly - if youre interested and think you could fit, please dont hesitate to apply.
Lyell is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, citizenship status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, age, religion, creed, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, veteran status or any other characteristics protected under applicable federal, state and local laws.
If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process or are limited or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, please contact us via our company website.