Day Care Teacher
Providence , RI 02940
Posted 5 months ago
The Early Childhood Teacher is responsible for planning and implementation of the classroom curriculum activities instructional strategies and classroom management. Responsibilities will include working in coordination with a teaching assistant to ensure a rich learning environment that fosters the cognitive physical social and emotional development of young children and provides individualized approaches to meet their developmental differences. The incorporation of continuous assessment practices is critical as is establishing a collaborative relationship with families. A commitment to supporting children who may have developmental and behavioral challenges is also an important quality.
Connecting With Children
- Knows understands and uses positive relationships and supportive interactions as the foundation for work with young children.
Promoting Language Development
- Encourages and supports children's language and communication through descriptive commenting actively listening to children and sharing control of conversations.
Using Developmentally Effective Approaches
- Knows understands and uses a wide array of appropriate effective approaches to support young children's development and learning.
Building Meaningful Curriculum
- Uses knowledge of early childhood learning principles to investigate design implement and evaluate meaningful challenging curriculum that promotes learning outcomes for young children.
- Maintains a consistent daily routine that provides time for child-initiated activities and opportunities for children to make choices explore and use materials at their developmental level.
Observing Documenting and Assessing to Support Young Children
- Knows about and understands the goals benefits and uses of assessment. Uses systematic observations documentation and other effective assessment strategies in a responsible way in partnership with families.
Promoting Child Development and Learning
- Uses understanding of young children's characteristics and needs to create environments and activities that are respectful supportive and challenging for all children.
Incorporating Principles of Inclusion into Classroom
- Is committed to providing opportunities for children with special health care needs to participate in typical early childhood experiences and adapts the curriculum goals activities and interventions to meet their individual needs.
Supporting Positive Behavior Management
- Uses strategies to prevent undesired or unregulated behaviors sets clear limits; uses positive redirections rather than negative commenting; and implements natural and logical consequences.
Managing Physical Environment
- Maintains a safe and healthy classroom environment that promotes learning through clearly defined activity areas plentiful and diversified materials that are well organized and visual presentations that minimize distractions. Conducts light housekeeping ensures proper cleaning and sanitizing of surfaces equipment and toys; supervises meal and snack protocol.
Collaborating with Families
- Establishes respectful and supportive relationships with families that involve them in their child's learning.
- Identifies projects or activities that need to be done makes good decisions about the best course of action takes initiative to address the need and seeks help or approval when needed.
Planning and Documenting Work
- Completes plan books developmental assessments progress reports and other required paperwork accurately and in a timely manner.
- Demonstrates positive work behavior (e.g. attendance punctuality at work and meetings reliability flexibility/adaptability etc.)
- Demonstrates effective communication and collaboration skills with colleagues and supervisor.
Growing as a Professional
- Demonstrates continuous reflective and critical assessment of own work integrating knowledge from a variety of sources. Completes required amount of training hours each year some of which are outside typical work hours.
Responding to Supervision & Feedback
- Seeks and is open to new ideas feedback and suggestions from colleagues and supervisor.
Supporting Teacher Assistants
- Provides clear and consistent direction to teacher assistants and involves them in decision-making about classroom functioning and instructional approaches.
Working a Flexible Schedule
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Associates Degree in Early Childhood minimum. Bachelor's Degree in Early Childhood preferred (Human Service degree AND 12 college credits in early childhood education also eligible). One year early childhood teaching experience preferred.
- Fluent in written and spoken English language. Ability to read and interpret lesson plans and books.
- Ability to perform basic mathematical skills (addition subtraction multiplication and division)
- Ability to recognize problems and recommend potential solutions.
Certificates Licenses Registrations
- See Education Requirements
Ability to obtain CPR and First Aid Certification.
The physical demands described her are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. A staff member must be able to lift up to 40 pounds. There will also be frequent standing kneeling and bending.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. A staff member for short periods daily will be exposed to outside weather conditions (year round).
Lifespan is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race color religion sex national origin age ethnicity sexual orientation ancestry genetics gender identity or expression disability protected veteran or marital status. Lifespan is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
Location: Capital City Comm. Ctrs Inc. USA:RI:Providence
Work Type: Full Time