Data Center Technician IV (Swing Shift) - Chicago, IL
Chicago , IL 60607
Posted 2 weeks ago
The Data Center Technician IV must possess an expert level of knowledge and will be responsible for the operational integrity and regulatory compliance of the data center electrical, mechanical, fire life safety systems, and communications infrastructure.
Mechanical responsibilities will include chilled water systems and components, HVAC systems such as roof top units, CRAC/CRAH units, and humidification systems.
Electrical responsibilities will include electrical/critical power distribution from the Utility/Generator main switchgear through the UPS systems out to the customer load.
Fire Life Safety responsibilities will include wet sprinkler systems and pre-action sprinkler systems as well as their associated detection devices.
Communications Infrastructure responsibilities will include IFD / MDF / MMR management, structured cabling and supporting infrastructure ownership, and customer space management.
This position will also be directly responsible for the processes that maximize customer uptime in the most cost-effective way by working very closely with the Data Center Manager. Technicians must ensure that data center problems are identified and repaired quickly, contractors deliver quality services, and internal customer demands are met. A Tier IV technician develops creative approaches to keep operational costs to a minimum, improve efficiency, and implement new strategies.
Please note that this opening is specifically for our swing shift which requires the ability to regularly work from 2:00 pm to 10:30 pm CST.
- Data center subject matter expert for electrical, mechanical, controls, and fire life safety systems.
- Operate, monitor, maintain, and respond to abnormal conditions in facilities systems. Areas include: Electrical, Mechanical, Communications, Building Monitoring and Control.
- Tracking and trending operational characteristics.
- Mentoring of junior staff.
- Work with the site Data Center Manager to track and complete an aggressive preventive and predicative maintenance schedule
- Work with and provides guidance, to the site Data Center Manager to determine maintenance requirements for mechanical and electrical systems
- Ensure data center operates at maximum operational efficiency, including analyzing existing operating conditions, recommending new technologies, and improving overall efficiency and cost reduction. Ideal candidate will have a demonstrated technical ability and innovative thinking cross functionally, including integrated systems and IT
- Manage systems to avoid unplanned, customer-impacting outages
- Manage the data floor and back of house mechanical loading capacity thereby ensuring that the cooling system is operating at its highest efficiency
- Provide applied mechanical and integrated control expertise for the entire data center
- Work as a primary knowledge expert in regard to fire and electrical codes.
- Serve in a technical writing capacity in regard to the derivation of procedures for preventative or corrective maintenance activities.
- Assist Data Center Manager with the database management of maintenance discrepancies and work with Operations management to resolve site issues based on agreed upon priorities.
- Trouble Ticket Management
- Work Order Completion Process
- Infrastructure projects (Internal/Customer)
- 1. Cage Build-Outs
- 2. Overhead Installations
- 3. Rack and Stack
- Navigate and utilize a CMMS system.
- Use developed procedures to solve problems
- Assist in asset and consumable inventory management.
- Responsible for the tracking and proper labeling of all equipment per established procedures.
- Ensures that processes are completed in a timely manner pertaining to Service Level Agreements (SLA) and data is uploaded to the OSS accordingly.
- Provide physical security within the CoreSite premises.
- Provide day-to-day exceptional customer service and support.
- Incident escalation and report writing
- Monitor the building fire alarm system.
- Maintain and complete regular facility and security tours documenting and responding to found issues.
- Adhere to and promote CoreSites Principles of Operational Excellence
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
Interaction with Others: This position is required to interact with CoreSite personnel, vendors, partners, contractors and clients.
- Expert understanding of the electrical and mechanical systems used in a data center environment, including, but not limited to the following: electrical distribution and layout, Transformers, PLCs, Generators, Switchgear, UPS systems, STS, ATS PDUs, Chilled Water Systems, CRAC/CRAHs, Pre-Action Sprinkler Systems
- Expert knowledge of NEC, NFPA 70E, NFPA 72, NFPA 25, and compliance issues as well as building codes in regard to fire life safety
- Expert knowledge of fiber optics / cabling infrastructure and industry best practices.
- Expert knowledge in industrial safety best practices (i.e. lockout/tag out, arc flash protection, OSHA and state regulations)
- Expert knowledge and experienced with data trending / tracking and analysis and ability to rapidly learn and use PC based, integrated critical monitoring systems
- Minimum of 5-7 years of experience installing, maintaining, and/or troubleshooting large commercial and industrial systems including:
- Chilled Water Systems
- Large Centrifugal Chillers
- Cooling Towers
- Heat Exchangers
- Water Treatment Systems
- VFDs and Pumps
- HVAC equipment
- Humidification Systems
- BMS and PLC Controls
- Emergency Standby Diesel Generator Systems
- Fuel/Oil systems,
- 480/277 and 208/120 electrical generation and distribution
- Static UPS Systems
- Double Interlock Pre-Action Systems
- Proven leadership skills
- Proven expert and laying out, pulling, dressing, and terminating fiber and copper communications cabling.
- Experience diagnosing and repairing IT hardware, servers, network switches, structured cabling.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
- Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project)
- Ability to communicate effectively with customers and internal staff.
- Ability to coordinate, supervise and communicate with contractors who perform maintenance or upgrade work on these systems.
- Ability to learn quickly and address issues as they arise during normal working hours or after hours.
- Ability to operate in and promote a rigorous process-driven team environment
- Ability to logically analyze and solve problems
- Ability to effectively multi-task multiple projects
- Operate Hand and Machine Tools (hammer, drill, saw, etc.)
- Operate electrical tools such as a multi-meter or infrared camera
- Bachelors degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering or equivalent time in rate.
- 5 or more years in a mechanical/electrical position within critical facilities (preference given to a data center, hospital, or power plant experience)
- Be able to pass an extensive background check, including criminal history, personal references, employment and education verification, and Department of Motor Vehicle and credit check.
Physical Demands and Special Requirements
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to stand 1/3 2/3 of the time
- Ability to walk 1/3 2/3 of the time
- Ability to sit 1/3 2/3 of the time
- Ability to climb and balance 1/3 2/3 of the time
- Ability to stoop, kneel, crouch and crawl 1/3 2/3 of the time
- Ability to reach with hands & arms 1/3 2/3 of the time
- Ability to smell, talk & hear
- Ability to use hands to type, handle & feel
- Ability to reach with hands and arms
- Ability to see at close and distance ranges and the ability to see color
- Must be comfortable working in a high stress, fast paced environment with shifting priorities
- Must be willing to work outside normal business hours, including weekends, late nights, holidays, and on-call support
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds 1/3 of the time
Not only does CoreSite have a fun, team-focused work environment, but we also offer great benefits!
- Medical and Vision coverage through Cigna Heath Care
- Telemedicine through MDLive
- Dental Insurance through Delta Dental
- Life Insurance and Short-Term & Long-term Disability Insurance fully paid by the company
- Voluntary coverage benefits for Life and AD&D, Critical Illness, Accident Coverage, and Hospital Indemnity
- Medical and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (FSA) Plans and Health Saving Account (HSA) Plans
- 401(k) retirement savings plan with a generous company contribution
- Free parking or a company contribution toward a public transit pass
- 16 days of Personal Time Off (PTO)
- 10 paid Holidays
- Wellness program with annual incentive
Applicant Privacy Notice: CoreSite is committed to protecting the privacy and security of personal information submitted by applicants. The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) requires us to provide you information about our personal information handling practices. As a result, were providing this Privacy Notice that describes how we collect, use, share, and update personal information from individuals who wish to be considered for employment with CoreSite. To read the Applicant Privacy Notice, please go to https://www.coresite.com/applicant-privacy-notice.