Data Center Technician I (Day Shift) - Los Angeles, CA
Los Angeles , CA 90001
Posted 1 week ago
The Data Center Technician I assists in the operational integrity, security, and regulatory compliance of the data center.
A Tier 1 technician will learn and gain experience through assisting the data center technicians in day to day operations of the data center including security functions, general site response and triage, and customer interaction. Technicians must ensure that data center problems are identified and repaired quickly, that contractors deliver quality services, and that internal customer demands are met.
A Tier 1 technician requires the following skills: Security operations, first responder, fire watch, safety, trouble shooting, causality response, and customer service.
A Tier 1 technician will gain working knowledge of the general data center mechanical, electrical, telecom, and security equipment.
Responsibilities will include monitoring and responding to mechanical, electrical, fire protection, and security systems. These systems include, transformers, PLCs, generators, switchgear, UPS systems, STS, ATS PDUs, chilled water systems, CRAC/CRAH, wet sprinkler systems and pre-action sprinkler, security hardware, and CCTV.
- Monitor, and respond to abnormal conditions in facilities systems. Areas include: Mechanical, Electrical, Building Monitoring, Security, and Control systems
- Follow direction of management in regards to day-to-day activities.
- Incident escalation and report writing.
- Provide physical security within the CoreSite premises.
- Provide day-to-day exceptional customer service and support.
- Compose detailed reports and daily activity logs.
- Maintain and complete regular facility and security tours documenting and responding to found issues.
- Assists with managing systems to avoid unplanned customer-impacting outages
- Manage building service requests through resolution.
- Responsible for notifying customers, management and facility teams of security system alarms and security breaches.
- Responsible for managing the loading dock shipping and receiving.
- Perform and complete work orders and customer service tickets in a timely manner
- Adhere to and promote CoreSites Principles of Operational Excellence, culture, and 8 Guiding Principles.
- Special projects as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Able to write concise and accurate reports.
- Escalation of incidents.
- Familiar with CCTV and access and control security systems.
- Ability to communicate effectively with customers and internal staff.
- Good troubleshooting skills.
- Ability to learn quickly and address issues as they arise in a Mission Critical 24x7 environment.
- Schedule flexibility with ability to work non-standard business hours.
- Exhibits a strong work ethic and accountability.
- Successfully meet CoreSite professional standards.
- Candidate must have ability to work independently and be able to follow all escalation procedures in regard to critical or emergency situations.
- Ability to operate in and promote a rigorous process-driven team environment
- Ability to logically analyze and solve problems
- Ability to effectively multi-task multiple projects
- Operate Hand and Machine Tools (hammer, drill, saw, etc.)
- Operate electrical tools such as a multi-meter or infrared camera
- Familiar with computer systems and software programs - i.e., MS Word, Excel, MS Outlook.
- A Tier I technician will gain an on-the-job understanding of the mechanical, electrical, fire life safety, and security systems used in a data center environment including, but not limited to the following: electrical distribution and layout, transformers, PLCs, generators, switchgear, UPS systems, STS, ATS PDUs, chilled water systems, CRAC/CRAHs, pre-action sprinkler systems, security hardware, CCTV, monitoring, and CMMS systems.
- High School Diploma or greater
- 1+ years of experience in either customer service or security industry
- Experience in a mission critical facility is a plus
- Be able to pass an extensive background check, including criminal history, personal references, employment and education verifications, and Department of Motor Vehicle and credit check.
Physical Demands and special requirements
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to stand 1/3 2/3 of the time
- Ability to walk 1/3 2/3 of the time
- Ability to sit 1/3 2/3 of the time
- Ability to climb and balance 1/3 2/3 of the time
- Ability to stoop, kneel, crouch and crawl 1/3 2/3 of the time
- Ability to reach with hands & arms 1/3 2/3 of the time
- Ability to smell, talk & hear
- Ability to use hands to type, handle & feel
- Ability to reach with hands and arms
- Ability to see at close and distance ranges and the ability to see color
- Must be comfortable working in a high stress, fast paced environment with shifting priorities
- Must be willing to work outside normal business hours, including weekends, late nights, holidays, and on-call support
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds 1/3 of the time
Not only does CoreSite have a fun, team-focused work environment, but we also offer great benefits!
- Medical and Vision coverage through Cigna Heath Care
- Dental Insurance through Delta Dental
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan with a Company Contribution
- Life Insurance, Short-Term & Long-term Disability Insurance fully paid by the company
- Medical and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (FSA) Plans
- Free parking or a company contribution toward a public transit pass
- 16 days of Personal Time Off (PTO)
- 10 paid Holidays
- Wellness Program with annual incentive