HCA Richmond , VA 23234
Responsible for overseeing the performance of testsperformed by staff under his/her supervision. Is responsible for ensuring that tests are performed in accordance withthe laboratory's procedure manuals and that the applicable quality controlrequirements are met.
Must be capable ofperforming tests in section and is responsible for the accuracy of tests. Work closely with other lab personnel and hasfrequent contact with patients, nurses, physicians, and other employees.
Reports to LaboratoryDirector and Assistant Director.
V. Job Functions
1.Reviewswork of others done in the department. Resolves technical problems and ensures remedial actions have beentaken.
2.Maintainsaccreditation with JCAHO, CAP, state, FDA, and AABB.
3.Actsas a role model for other laboratory personnel to follow.
4.Identifiestraining and education needs of individuals performing tests.
5.Demonstratesthe ability to assess a situation from many perspectives, consider variousalternatives, and choose the appropriate action.
6.Demonstratesgood leadership by developing standards of performance, areas responsible foraccountability, and delegation of authority to various support personnel.
7.Demonstratesbroad knowledge of laboratory departments.
8.Performswork according to established policies and procedures.
9.Correlatesresults with diagnosis and each other, and questions all incompatible results.
10. Demonstratesability to deal with priorities first, and plans for completion of remainingduties.
11. Makeseffort to expand knowledge of departmental and laboratory operations.
12. Isaccessible to laboratory to provide on site, telephone consultation.
13. Evaluate,monitor and ensure the competency of all testing personnel assigned to his/hersection or shift.
14. Performsperformance appraisals as directed by the laboratory technical director.
15. Disciplinesemployees following hospital policy and procedure at the direction of thelaboratory technical director.
Bachelors Degree in Medical Technology or relatedbiological science, ASCP or equivalent registry or eligible.
Certification: Blood Bank Coordinator: SBB Certification preferred.
Outpatient Lab Coordinator: BLS required.
Experience: Must have at least two years supervisoryexperience.
Decision makingsubstantiated by in depth knowledge of laboratory procedures, principles andinstruments. Excellent oral and writtencommunication skills.