Tamaqua , PA 18252
Posted 2 weeks ago
The Controller is responsible for all areas pertaining to general ledger maintenance, including sub- ledgers (inventory, A/R, A/P, etc.), banking, and non-personnel insurances.The position is responsible for developing, maintaining, and carrying out accounting procedures and processes to ensure timely and accurate financial statements and in compliance with generally accepted accounting principles, corporate policies and external audits.The position is responsible for managing the team to ensure work is correctly allocated and completed in a timely and accurate manner.
The position will ensure that all accounting activities including, but not limited to; general ledger entries, inventory, standard costing, variance analysis, reconciliations, accounts payable, collections, establishing credit limits for new customers, month-end close, and year-end audits are performed timely and accurately.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Responsible for the teams talent development, providing leadership, training, and coaching in both accounting tasks and interpersonal skills
- Manage day-to-day accounting operations and ensure that there is a redundant process backup in place for every critical operation
- Initiate and assist with planning and implementing new systems and procedures that will streamline the department
- Monitor emerging technology to determine ways to automate the accounting process without sacrificing accuracy and accountability
- Develop & maintain internal controls to ensure security of data and funds
- Work with IT to adopt new ERP modules, leveraging the system to automate business processes
- Analyze the effect of statutory accounting practices and regulations to ensure correct application of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles
- Assist with compilation of information for preparation of tax returns
- Create, Review & Post GL transactions, as needed
- Review Payroll entries prior to posting
- Process required tax submissionsbiweekly, monthly, quarterly
- Ensure accurate and timely monthly and year end close
- Preparation of month end and adjusting journal entries
- Ensure that work papers for all accounts are completed and reconciled on a monthly basis
- Responsible for hierarchy and scalability in chart of accounts and accuracy in the general ledger and financial statements and has ultimate authority over classification and booking of all transactions
- Maintain fixed asset schedule, including book and tax depreciation, ensuring accuracy
- Analyze capital projects & make recommendations on project viability
- Coordinate cycle counts & investigate root cause of variances
- Review daily PITs prior to posting to ensure appropriateness and accuracy
- Review BOMs, ensuring accuracy
- Ensure Inventory sub-ledger is reconciled and root cause of variances is determined
- Track inventory turns and identify improvement opportunities
Ensure Production reporting is completed timely and accurately
- Develop and maintain standard costing of all processes and products
- Roll standard costs on monthly basis to ensure accurate inventory valuations
- Analyze standard and actual costs for variances; identify root issues and work with Operations/ other teams to ensure processes are as efficient and cost-effective as feasible
- Support Marketing team with cost analyses of existing and new products to assist in setting market price
- Review daily cash receipts prior to posting
- Work with sales, customer service on collection of past due receivables
- Set credit policies, establish credit limits and terms for each customer
- Review daily Accounts Payable Invoices prior to posting
- Process payables weekly
- Working with Supply Chain, review vendors terms & conditions and pricing to build the most cost effective and reliable supplier base
- Monitor and handle daily banking requirements
- Perform detailed account reconciliationsnot less than monthly, preferably weekly
- Make recommendations for changes as needed and ensure that company policies and procedures are followed and establishes the proper techniques to discover and prevent fraud
The ideal candidate possesses leadership capabilities, solid operational and technical accounting background and works proactively to drive results. This positionmanages subordinate supervisor(s) who supervise employee(s) and is responsible for the overall direction, coordination and evaluation of these units. This person is a self-starter, flexible, has a high level of integrity and is action and goal-oriented in a fast-paced, team-oriented, collaborative environment. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills are essential, as is the ability to effectively interact in a team environment with senior leadership and their peer group. This positions responsibilities include: interviewing, hiring and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Committed to making positive change, but remaining flexible along the way
- Excellent communication skills.Effectively interact in a team environment with senior leadership, their peer group, and the ability to relate and motivate an hourly and salaried team
- Willing to take on a broad range of responsibilities including managing people, processes, and tasks
- Broad business understanding, including customers, financials, and operational results
- Open to change (positive or negative) and to considerable variety in the workplace
- Adequate knowledge of organizational effectiveness and operations management
- Demonstrated ability to multi task and to adapt to a quickly changing, team oriented manufacturing environment
- Willing to role model High Performance work team behaviors and develop these on our teams
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Able to think strategically and tactically (detail-oriented)
- Strong collaborative and influencing skills and ability to work well in a cross-functional
- Analytical and problem solving skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Flexible and able to adapt to company growth and evolving responsibilities
- Able to remain calm and direct staff under fast paced and/or stressful environment
- Excellent management skills and ability to adapt approach based upon the career level of the individual
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to develop working relationships with a wide range of people
- Interested in company results
- Treat people with respect
- Commitment to working safely
- Proficient in MS Office Suite skills and keyboarding skills
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily as well as the ability to handle situations by working as a team.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelors Degree in Accounting or Finance required; Masters Degree is preferred
- 10+ years experience in an accounting leadership role
- Exceptional leadership abilities
- Strong cost accounting experience
- Strong budgeting, financial forecasting, cost accounting and financial analysis skills required
Able to communicate and comprehend in the English Language to perform the duties of this position. Able to write clear and concise business correspondence.Able to clearly communicate with customers in person, via the telephone, and via e-mail and convey the intended meaning.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by a team member to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the responsibilities of the CFOs job, the team member is required to talk and hear. The team member is often required to sit and use his or her hands and fingers, to handle or feel. The team member is occasionally required to stand, walk, and reach with arms and hands. Vision abilities required by this job include close vision. The team member must be able to work in a fast-paced environment within deadlines that are competing and unpredictable. Must ensure operational functions are effectively coordinated to ensure optimal efficacy. Communications are mostly no-routine and non-controversial, involving professional discussions and meetings among key team members. Frequent requirement for attention to detail; prolonged use of a computer terminal and electronic equipment.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those a team member encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
CFOs typically work in an office environment, although projects they may be involved with could possibly take them into a non-standard workplace or into manufacturing areas.
The noise level in the manufacturing work environment (plant) is usually moderate to occasionally loud and PPE is required. Appropriate hearing protection while in the plant is required as noise levels within the facility meet OSHA requirements for hearing protection equipment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.