Houston , TX 77095
Posted 4 days ago
Control Risks is seeking a Contracts Manager who has experience with commercial transactions and a passion for driving business and process efficiencies. This role will join the Americas Legal Team and report directly to the Regional Counsel, Americas. As a member of the Americas Legal team, you will help service the contracting needs of our Americas businesses, including the US, Canada, and Latin America including Mexico, Colombia, and Brazil.
We are looking for a highly motivated team player with excellent inter-personal and communication skills. As part of our legal team, you will work collaboratively, help improve internal processes, and be a champion of integrity throughout the company. You will work closely with the Senior Legal Contracts Manager as well as the Regional Counsel to further expand legal, risk and compliance awareness and strategies within the Americas Region all in support of the wider global Legal, Risk and Compliance team. You will act as one of our first points of contact and lead the negotiation, documentation, and analysis of our consulting services contracts. This unique in-house opportunity will be ideal for a contracts manager who works well independently, but is highly communicative, collaborative and thrives on making an impact.
You will be responsible for (i) drafting, negotiating, and tracking our client service contracts, (ii) working with in-house counsel to reiterate important legal, regulatory, and internal policy compliance obligations in the contracting process and obligations undertaken by Control Risks in the legal agreements, and (iii) maintaining the repository for legal agreements.
Tasks and responsibilities:
- Understand our business – able to contextualize legal issues in a business environment to balance business objectives with legal risk
- Review, draft, and negotiate contract terms, including fallback contractual provisions for NDAs, MSAs, and consulting services agreements (including proposals, letters of engagement, special terms and conditions, purchase orders, work orders)
- Effectively escalate challenging contractual provisions to Regional Counsel to expedite resolution and work closely with Regional Counsel to obtain required approval for non-standard contract provisions
- Facilitate efficient workflow through the contract lifecycle (request, review, finalization, execution and memorialization in a database), including daily maintenance of the internal contract management system, tracking response times (request, review, progress, execution), and uploading to the repository
- Take ownership of and effectively manage ongoing timely communications with the business in response to contract requests and progress to ensure expectations are clear and met
- Maintain and help continue to build the strong reputation of the Americas Legal Department as a trusted advisor and partner to our business
- Assist Regional Counsel with ongoing special projects as they arise
Knowledge and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree (BA/BS) required
- 5+ years of progressive responsibility in contract management and negotiation with primary and autonomous responsibility for reviewing, drafting and negotiating a broad range of standard commercial contracts within a legal department
- Fluency in English required, written and verbal demonstrated experience with basic types of commercial agreement structures and the function and purpose of key legal terms (e.g., indemnification, limitation of liability, warranties, intellectual property, and confidentiality)
- Excellent written/verbal communication and interpersonal skills – ability to articulate (written and verbal) legal concepts in plain English to non-lawyers
- Superb attention to detail, organization, and project management abilities to meet deadlines
- Strong analytical and problem-solving/solution-oriented skills
- Diligent and conscientious approach to work
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
- Fluency in Spanish and/or Portuguese / Ability to review and revise Spanish and/or Portuguese contracts is a plus but not required
- Experience working with online services agreements desired
- Experience working in professional consultancy desired
- Experience working across jurisdictions desired, particularly in the US, Canada, and Latin America
- Proven ability to analyze and negotiate legal agreements in a comparable in-house commercial role
- Familiarity with contractual provisions related to insurance, taxation, and export controls
Qualifications and specialist skills:
- Calm under pressure with a collaborative and can-do-approach to effectively resolve contractual issues
- Take pride and ownership of your activities and how they contribute to the success of the business
- Collaborative team player who works well independently and knows when to escalate
- Quick learner with a flexible approach to changing work priorities
- Clear and concise communicator who uses audience appropriate language
- All employees are expected to display behaviors reflective of Control Risks’ values: Integrity and Ethics, Collaboration and Teamwork, Commitment to People and Professionalism and Excellence.
- Control Risks offers a competitively positioned compensation and benefits package that is transparent and summarised in the full job offer.
- Control Risks supports hybrid working arrangements, wherever possible, that emphasise the value of in-person time together - in the office and with our clients - while continuing to support flexible and remote working.
- Medical Benefits, Prescription Benefits, FSA, Dental Benefits, Vision Benefits, Life and AD&D, Voluntary Life and AD&D, Disability Benefits, Voluntary Benefits, 401 (K) Retirement, Nationwide Pet Insurance, Employee Assistance Program