City Of Los Angeles, Office Of Councilmember Kreko
Los Angeles , CA 90012
Posted 2 months ago
This Job is not relevant Tell us why
The Office of Los Angeles City Councilmember Paul Krekorian is seeking a hardworking, creative and strategic individual with a passion for public service to serve as the Communications Director for Council District 2. The position of Communications Director is a high profile leadership role with a number of key expectations and abilities necessary for success.We are seeking a professional with:
Other required personal characteristics include:
- A polished, articulate, succinct, and clear communications style, adaptable to the audience and/or subject at hand.
- High personal energy, a positive approach, and self-confidence.
- A commitment to communicating with all levels of the community, elected officials, and the City organization consistently, accurately and in a timely manner. Highly developed presentation and listening skills are essential.
- The ability to anticipate problems, and prepare proactive responses to media and community inquiries on issues that may arise, and collaborate with office staff and relevant city personnel to do so.
- Excellent writer and communicator, with the ability to recognize and craft compelling stories and narratives that advance understanding of policy matters.
- The ability to effectively and succinctly articulate City-related issues, goals and objectives of Councilmember Krekorian to the public and members of the press in an engaging manner.
- The Director must be competent with technological resources and social media, having a thorough working knowledge of their role in increasing visibility and accessibility of city operations and activities to the public and the media.
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
- Outstanding interpersonal and “people” skills.
- Initiative, self-starter, resourcefulness, creativity and problem-solving ability.
- An understanding of the political process and a genuine commitment to the community and municipal organization and employees.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Plans, directs, and coordinates the development and communication of information designed to keep the public informed of the Councilmember's community and legislative initiatives.
- Organizes and facilitates media events, press conferences, and related special events.
- Writes press statements, press releases, and speeches.
- Develop and share talking points regularly with Council District 2 staff so they are equipped to be effective community liaisons of the organization's work.
- Assists news media with information about Councilmember Krekorian’s policy initiative, city decisions, and other city issues of interest to the news media.
- Plans and directs the development and communication of information to keep Council District 2 residents and the general public well informed of overall City accomplishments.
- Work in close coordination and collaboration with communications partners at the City, County, and community organizations.
- Conducts and activates on-going crisis communications planning.
- Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities and 5-7 years of experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Strong relationships and knowledge of Los Angeles civic leaders and media
- Knowledge of photography and Adobe Creative Suite.
- Knowledge of web design and graphic design.
- Knowledge of video production and editing.
- Knowledge of journalistic writing and editing techniques.
- Knowledge of marketing and promotion of events.
- Knowledge and skill in using social media tools, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Nextdoor.
- Ability to create engaging content for social media and newsletter.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with the media, the public, and city employees.
- Skill in writing op-eds, and articles of interest to the residents and communities of Council District 2.
- Skill in coordinating and assembling information for distribution.
- Skill in effective oral and written communication.
Chief of Staff
For questions, please call (213) 473-7002
The position will remain open until sufficient applications have been received.
This is an exempt, at-will position. The individual appointed to this position will not accrue any civil service tenure, contractual employment rights, or due process rights. The incumbent may be removed, without any finding of cause, by the hiring authority. The City of Los Angeles is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. As a covered entity under Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City of Los Angeles does not discriminate on the basis of disability and, upon request, will provide reasonable accommodations to ensure equal access to its programs, services and activities. Please call (213) 744-9300 if you need assistance.