Class A CDL Driver
Denver , CO 80201
Posted 3 months ago
About Merchants Metals
Were one of the largest manufacturers and distributors of fence systems in North America. With 35 distribution center locations, 5 manufacturing facilities, and a 60-year legacy of providing quality fencing and accessories, Merchants Metals continues to be the contractor and architect choice for excellence. Our complete line of products includes perimeter security solutions for industrial, commercial and residential applications.
Why Join the Merchants Metals Team?
Our employees are part of a culture that values and promotes personal growth and development. We understand that to be a market leader we must be committed not only to our products, but also to our people. Its our talent that helps make Merchants Metals the first name in fence solutions.
Tired of being away from home?
Merchants Metals, Inc. is searching for a Class A CDL Driver to make daily local runs to big box stores and independent contractors, as well as perform warehousing and yard activities.
POSITION SUMMARY: The CDL driver position is responsible for the transportation of product and cargo within a reasonable driving distance from the service center (no OTR, or weekends).
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS, DUTIES, AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform all duties in accordance with company policies and procedures, and comply with all federal, state, and local regulations for safe operations of a commercial motor vehicle.
- Maintain records required for compliance with state and federal regulations including drivers record of duty status, mileage records, and other records required by law.
- Travel to local areas making deliveries to businesses and residences applying knowledge of Commercial driving and skills in maneuvering vehicle at varying speeds in difficult situations, such as heavy traffic, inclement weather. This includes going forward and backing up long distances, around corners, and in and around tight areas. May travel long distances.
- Perform Pre and Post trip inspections on vehicle and trailers to ensure that mechanical, safety, and emergency equipment is in good working order and maintain logs of vehicle services and repair status.
- Follow company reporting procedures for any injuries, vehicle defects, accidents, traffic violations, or damage to the vehicles.
- Follow appropriate company safety procedures and wear all required PPE.
- Obtain receipts or signatures for delivered goods and collect payment for services when required.
- Responsible for proper handling and accurate completion of all necessary paperwork related to truck operation and freight movements.
- Operate equipment, such as truck cab computers / tablets, CB radios, phones, or global positioning systems (GPS) equipment to exchange necessary information with bases, supervisors, or other drivers.
- Responsible for performing proper load securement of cargo and maintaining safe load securement throughout trips.
- Must be able to work overtime as required (M-F only during busy season - NO weekends)
NECESSARY SKILLS, BACKGROUND:
- 1-3+ years Class A CDL driving experience, plus at least 1 year of experience operating a flatbed truck.
- Basic knowledge of construction equipment (preferred) and safe driving procedures.
- Knowledge of Electronic Logging requirements, GPS systems, and ability to read maps
- Must maintain a clean driving record and diligent attention to safety
- Valid Class A CDL
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Clean 3-year MVR report
- Must maintain clean commercial driver's license (CDL)
- Must maintain a current medical card
While performing the duties of this job, the employee frequently works in outside weather conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, extreme heat/ cold conditions, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals and vibration.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Frequently required to sit, talk and hear.
- Constantly required to use hands and fingers to feel, handle or operate objects, tools, or controls.
- Frequently reach above shoulders while throwing straps and using force on hands, arms, and shoulders while cinching and releasing straps.
- Occasionally required to climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, walk, and bend.
- Occasionally push, pull or lift all types of equipment and material weighing up to 100 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, color vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Merchants Metals employees and their qualified family members have the opportunity to participate in industry leading benefits programs which include:
- Medical, Dental and Vision coverage for Employees, Spouses, Dependents &/or entire Family
- Company Paid Life Insurance and Short/Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Convenient 24/7 Doctor Visits through LiveHealth Online
- Legal Assistance via Legal Shield
- Employee Assistance Program
- Identify Theft Protection
- Access Perks Discounts on products and services with companies nationwide.
- 401k Retirement Program with strong company match.