Nashua , NH 03060
Posted 1 week ago
This Job is not relevant Tell us why
Fulfilling. Innovative. Collaborative. These are some of the words employees used to describe their careers at Worthen. Worthen Industries is a true family owned and operated solutions focused manufacturer. Our people share the passion to solve problems and work as a team. We believe that collaboration is the way to accomplish goals.
We are looking for a Chemist for our manufacturing location in Nashua, NH.
We are currently seeking a highly motivated Chemist working in a team environment to lead projects based on existing and new polymer technology. This individual will lead synthesis and characterization projects. They will also be responsible for the success of all technical tasks from the laboratory bench to the manufacturing floor. Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Researching and synthesizing new polymer formulations from the lab scale through production scale up, with a focus on polyurethane technology
- Identifying regulatory status of new polymer formulations and working with the team to ensure compliance with TSCA, FDA, REACH and customer restricted substance requirements
- Evaluating and developing/compounding new formulations in the areas of urethanes, thermoplastic extrusions and solvent and waterborne adhesives (latex, natural/synthetic rubbers, PSAs) and testing from the lab bench to manufacturing
- Utilize internal analytical resources including GC-Headspace, FTIR, DSC, instrumentation techniques to characterize properties and performance of materials
- Outline, organize and perform technical service experiments and projects for its assigned end-use(s), as approved by the Polymer Lab manager, in co-operation with the various business units servicing both external and internal customers.
- Maintaining a lab notebook and documentation of experimental results. Draft project status reports for sharing with the Polymer Lab team
- Must be able to share and communicate technical information in informal conversation, phone calls, written report, or presentation format to customers, raw material suppliers, Worthen employees and visitors.
- Must be willing to travel to customers, on occasion, to present on projects and work on active programs.
- Provide technical & project leadership to the Polymer Lab team for the successful completion of R&D projects and related activities performed by various business units and/or staff for a business or product line.
- Direct & coordinate the effective and on-time implementation of multiple projects through successful project management, i.e. following timelines and fully utilizing resources available from polymer group to manufacturing and quality if necessary.
- Protect Company technology through adherence to all Intellectual Property standards throughout area of responsibility and the effective use of IP tools. Contribute to building a strong IP portfolio.
We are always looking for people who are detailed oriented and have a common interest for chemical processes, developing state of the art products and being part of a team.
- BS in Chemistry or Chemical Engineering, with four to seven years relevant industry experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of polymer synthesis is preferred.
- Hands-On Experience in Compounding, Urethane chemistry, Thermoplastics, Adhesives Science, Plastic Film Extrusion, Polymer Science.
- Technical specialization in coatings or adhesives preferred.
- Ability to perform and interpret various physical and chemical analysis of materials.
- Ability to establish technical credibility and presence with both internal and external Customers.
- Knowledge of patents and IP procedures.
- Strong organizational skills required to keep project team focused, to track progress, and to make adjustments. Ensure clear understanding of project plans.
- Use formal project management tools/methodologies. Manage project plans, milestones, tasks, etc.
- Ability to communicate effectively and adapt approach to intended audiences. Communicate project needs, challenges, decisions and proposed solutions.
- Display sense of accountability and take ownership of project success.
- Drive projects forward to results. Ability to build and maintain relationships and interact effectively with all levels within the organization. Ability to influence without formal authority. Ability to leverage cross-functional relationships in order to obtain resources from other parts of the organization.
- Working knowledge of data collection, data analysis, evaluation, and scientific method.
We are the best in what we do because we believe in our people and value their families. With bonus based health insurance plans, a wellness coach on staff and a focus on personal growth and personal lifestyle, we truly support YOU as an employee. Our benefits package includes multiple company paid benefits, as well as many voluntary benefits as well. These benefits become effective on the 1st of the month following your date of hire.
Are you ready to experience what it means to work for a family owned and operated manufacturing organization? Then apply today!