Brigham And Women's Hospital Boston , MA 02298
GENERAL SUMMARY/OVERVIEW STATEMENT
Responsible for the preparation of the standard and special instrument kits. Sorts, inspects, and assembles instruments per surgery schedules.
Inspects all instruments for damage, tests special air powered instruments and performs minor maintenance. Responsible for the input and maintenance of major instrument inventory and selection of instruments for purchase and/or repair.
Managerial leadership responsibilities for the Instrument Room during the week and full responsibility on assigned weekend. Responsible for continuing education and on the job training of Instrument Technicians.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1.Removes instruments from washer/sterilizer.
2.Sorts and inspects all instruments for damage.
3.Assembles instruments into standard and special kits.
4.Initiates instrument count by documenting quantity of instruments in each kit.
5.Labels instrument kits and places them on racks to be wrapped and sterilized.
6.Tests power equipment after each cleaning.
7.Performs minor repair on surgical instruments and equipment.
8.Responsible for on the job training of new Instrument Technicians.
9.Responsible to a given surgical service for maintaining proper par levels.
10. Checks and replenishes emergency Case Carts.
11. Prepares Orthopedic instruments to go out for refurbishing monthly.
12. Orders supplies for the Instrument Room.
13. Maintains quantity of count sheets for instrument kits, i.e. inventory, copying, filing.
14. Works within the hospital and departmental policies regarding safety and infection control.
15. Utilizes computer to maintain instrument inventory and repair and purchase records.
16. Responsible for maintaining the professional equilibrium of the Instrument Room daily.
17. Assumes supervisory responsibilities in the absence of the CPD Supervisor.
DAILY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
1.Receives, cleans, and decontaminates soiled instruments using detergents, disinfecting solutions, and washers/sterilizers.
2.Disposes of contaminated trash and/or linen.
3.Handles contaminated items from the OR or patient floors using universal precautions.
4.Performs daily maintenance on major sterilization equipment.
5.Operates daily sterilization equipment.
6.Wraps, dates, and sterilizes all instruments and specialty items for distribution throughout the hospital.
7.Inspects line using a linen light table.
8.Documents sterilization criteria for quality control charts, i.e. correct pressure and temperature.
9.Assembles minor instrument sets.
10. Responds to OR needs via telephone, documents requests, and follows through with distribution of items requested.
11. Sets up Case Carts for surgical procedures on a routine and emergency basis.
12. Stocks shelves with supplies and instruments.
High School graduate or GED.
Nine months to one year of instrumentation training required. One to two years Central Processing experience preferred.
Demonstrates leadership qualities.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Good eye to hand coordination.
Ability to rapidly identify a large variety of instruments.
Ability to work well under extreme pressure and stress.
A sound understanding of the English language.
Ability to establish priorities for job responsibility.
Ability to think quickly and to use sound judgment in proper selection of emergency equipment.
Demonstrates ability to maintain a high level of strong concentration.
Should be able to assume supervisory responsibilities in absence of CPD Supervisor.