The assistant teacher's role is to provide a well structured environment that is at all times: 1) safe (all children must be within sight and hearing at all times), 2) in compliance with Minnesota Department of Human Services, Licensing Division Rule 3 for Child Care Centers, 3) warm, friendly and sensitive to the feelings and needs of others, 4) maximizing opportunities for developmental growth, 5) dedicated to providing the best possible care.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
1.Develop and maintain a sufficient level of knowledge of Minnesota Department of Human Services Division of Licensing Rule 3 for Child Care Centers, and make every effort to have the classroom in compliance.
2.Ensure all class room record keeping, i.e. lunch count, accident reports, medication administration, emergency cards, etc. are kept current and up to date.
3.Ensure compliance with The Salvation Army and The Salvation Army King Foundation CDC Employment policies.
4.Develop and maintain a sufficient level of knowledge of all the program policies and procedures, as specified in the 'Parent's Handbook' and 'Employee's Handbook', and be ready to implement them as necessary.
5.Keep your classroom neat, clean, organized and free of hazards.
6.Ensure the Playground and Gymnasium is neat, clean, organized and free of any hazards when you use them. Any part of the facility you use should be returned to the condition in which you found it.
7.Design, define, and help create classroom centers that should be a continuous, evolving project with thematic and seasonal changes in all areas of child development.
8.Ensure the classroom is set up for daily activities. Report any supplies you need to the CDC Director.
9.Assist in curriculum planning, remembering to include the Christian component through Bible stories, songs, prayers, etc. Work with lead teacher to help with lesson planning.
10. Observe and document the developmental progress of each child to help the lead teacher be prepared for Parent/Teacher Conferences.
11. Complete Training as required by Minnesota Rule 3 and submit documentation to the CDC Director.
12. Provide supervision and guidance for teacher aides assigned to the class room. If there is a personal conflict with a parent, staff member, child, volunteer, etc., we will follow the Christian example: 1) take it to the Lord in Prayer, 2) privately, go the other person and try to resolve the conflict, 3) involve the CDC Director as an intermediary, 4) involve the Community Center Director or the Officer in Charge as an intermediary.
13. Treat all people with whom you come into contact, regardless of their position, age, etc. with kindness and respect. Refrain from using harsh words and tones. Interaction with everyone should be kind, thoughtful, caring, and honest.
14. Violence, the threat of violence, and verbal abuse will not be tolerated in any way. The Lead Teacher is responsible for assuring none of these things occur under their supervision. Toys that represent weapons, or are used as a weapon are strictly prohibited. All staff members are required to ensure these policies are followed. Any action of violence, verbal or physical must be reported to the CDC Center Director, the Community Center or the Officer in charge immediately, are will result in employment termination.
15. The Salvation Army employees may on occasion be asked to perform duties for The Salvation Army Community Center.
The person, who holds the job as Lead Teacher in the preschool or toddler room, must possess the qualifications (Rule 3) as mandated by the State of Minnesota, Department of Human Services - Licensing Division. The assistant teacher must have a warm, friendly personality, be sensitive to the feelings and needs of others, be able to relate well with young children, and be willing to fulfill job responsibilities in accordance with the program plan and objectives.
The teacher assistant must also be comfortable with The Salvation Army Mission Statement. The teacher assistant must be able to maintain a professional attitude towards the children, the families, and other staff members at all times, and be able to communicate professionally and openly. The teacher assistant must be a model, demonstrating the kinds of values, attitudes, expectations, beliefs, and choices that make our program excellent!!
Must pass the background check and be willing to support the mission of The Salvation Army. It must be understood by the incumbent that the provisions of Safe From Harm will apply upon commencement of employment and also understood that the required Safe From Harm training be satisfactorily completed within the first thirty (30) days of employment.
Salvation Army USA