Posting Number S01647P Classification Title Benefited Hourly Position Type Disclaimer
Liberty University's hiring practices and EEO Statement are fully in compliance with both federal and state law. Federal law creates an exception to the "religion" component of the employment discrimination laws for religious organizations (including educational institutions), and permits them to give employment preference to members of their own religion. Liberty University is in that category.
Position Title CAD Designer Does this position require driving? Yes Contact Contact Phone Ext Contact Email Job Summary/Basic Function
Working independently and exercising good judgment and discretion, the CAD Designer will prepare documents and calculations for studies, reports, specifications and scope of work in accordance with project designs. Develop preliminary building and site plans for new construction and renovations, working with Liberty University (LU) staff and non-LU architects, engineers, consultants, and contractors on a broad range of designs.
Candidate must possess Bachelor's Degree in engineering or related degree field or equivalent work experience. Minimum of 3-years of CAD Design related experience.
Professional working knowledge of AutoCAD software. Good verbal and written communications skills. Disciplined and strong organizational skills.
Must be detailed oriented, possess strong organizational skills and well-developed communications skills. Certifications obtained while employed by Liberty University at the expense of the employer will be reimbursed back to the University. Upon voluntary termination (resignation) for the first 12 months after acquiring it.
1.Develop preliminary and construction documents for new construction, building renovations and site plans.
2.Design or redesign complex layouts and drawings from general written or verbal specifications.
3.Must have the ability to comprehend and correctly apply all applicable state and local building codes and regulations governing development and construction, including but not limited to the International Building Code (IBC) and Virginian State Building Code, City of Lynchburg, Bedford, Amherst, Campbell Counties, local service authorities, Department of Environmental Quality, Department of Conservation and Recreation, Environmental Protection Agency, Virginia Department of Transportation, Federal Aviation Administration, Federal Emergency Management Agency, Army Corps of Engineers, Norfolk Southern Railroad and the Health Department.
4.Work with Liberty University staff and consultants to develop a construction documents and design standards and specifications.
5.Ensure design standards and specifications are executed during construction.
6.Maintain Liberty University property records, building as-built documents, and campus plans.
7.Develop plats for use in property transfer and/or the creation of easements.
8.Ability to identify areas of concern when evaluating a new site for development or building interior floor plans for new construction or renovations. Provide alternatives to address areas of concern and provide value engineering recommendations
9.As necessary, download field shot GPS points showing updated building, parking, grading, and utility location. Update overall master plan, per GPS data. Maintain current records.
10. Manage information exchange with consultants, engineers, architects, and contractors. Providing current plans to the appropriate organization, updating LU records of current construction documents.
11. Prepare responses to Requests for Information from contractors during bidding and construction.
12. Research changing regulations. Apply knowledge of updated regulations correctly in the development construction documents.
13. As necessary, prepare plans for utility extensions including University fiber optic, electric and gas.
14. Prepare preliminary building layout plans, update building layout plans, and prepare furniture layout plans.
15. Follow applicable guidelines for University and industry CADD standards to develop CADD drawings that can easily be transferred to and utilized by architects, engineers and contractors.
16. Complete working drawings, design sketches, presentation drawings, diagrams and other drafted documents from prepared drawings (sketches, markups, redlines, etc.) as required for multiple construction projects.
17. Work with other teams to obtain reference information for drawings.
18. Work with project team to execute projects on time and on budget.
19. Review design layouts to find and resolve problems involving compatibility with basic design concepts.
20. Work with engineering and manufacturing team to investigate and resolve problems with existing designs.
21. Participate in engineering and manufacturing design reviews to evaluate design concepts and make recommendations.
22. Make corrections to the drawings as requested by the senior staff.
23. Create and update database of design records for future reference purposes.
24. Perform additional duties and responsibilities as assigned/required.
25. Identify and implement new methodologies that would benefit the University
26. Provide competent and efficient service to the Planning and Construction Department
27. Relies on experience and judgement to plan and accomplish goals.
28. Performs other duties as assigned.
29. Remains abreast of existing and emerging technologies, processes, products, services and leading industry performance benchmarks.
30. Works effectively as a team member, embracing and fostering LU's mission.
Communication and Comprehension
Strong computer skills.
Read and understand 2D and 3D drawings.
Convert limited verbal and written directions into schematic or final plan documents, calculations, narratives or other documents related to the project scope of work.
Well-developed relational and communications skills.
An awareness of the environmental impact of design ideas.
A working knowledge of the construction process.
Ability to visualize the creative design options in a new build project.
Very detail oriented, attention given to all pertinent issues.
Familiarity with the LU campus and facilities.
Ability to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing to convey clear, well-articulated information.
Ability to understand, speak, and write English in order to convey messages and correspond in an articulate and professional manner.
Disciplined and excellent organizational skills.
Ability to freely access all points of a construction site in wide-ranging climates and environment.
Excellent verbal and written communications skills, possessing public communication skills that allow professional representation of LU to a variety of business and community customers and associates.
Create and make presentations with computer based available University licensed software packages.
Commitment to customer service.
Responsible for the accuracy and quality of all technical work.
Use computer programs and spreadsheets for engineering analysis and presentations.
Maintain a thorough knowledge of architectural, surveying, and engineering symbols and graphic standards.
Completes assignments efficiently in a timely and complete manner.
Must continue education to improve technical knowledge and skills through outside and in-house programs, seminars, training sessions, site visits, and other resources.
Intuitively able to reason, analyze information and events, and apply judgment in order to solve problems of both a routine and complex nature.
Excellent in logical interpretations and complex mathematical calculations, expert in Computer-Aided Design packages.
Quickly and competently grasp of engineering and design principles.
Physical and Sensory Abilities
Frequently required to sit for extended periods to perform deskwork or type on a keyboard.
Required to travel to local and campus locations, navigating all types of construction sites.
Regularly required to hear and speak in order to effectively communicate orally.
Regularly required to stand, walk, and climb to move about the interiors, exterior and grounds of construction sites.
Handle materials, reach overhead, kneel or stoop in order to conduct business.
Regularly required to lift 10+ or fewer pounds and occasionally required to lift heavier items such as chairs or full-size plan sets.
Requires significant office and computer work, as well as visits to construction sites, may be exposed to extreme heat and cold temperatures and humidity and noise levels; requires some travel between buildings, campuses and local meetings.
Able to pass LU driving test and become an authorized LU driver as needed for site visits, in the performance of the essential functions of this position. Proof of a valid Virginia driver's license, an acceptable DMV record, and liability insurance is required, must be able to pass all requirements to be on Liberty University insurance.
Must be able to work on weekends, holidays, and flexible daily hours as well as various evening hours as needed.