Before & After Care Teacher
Georgetown Hill Early School
Clarksburg , MD 20871
Posted 2 months ago
GEORGETOWN HILL WANTS TO MEET GREAT PRESCHOOL TEACHERS!
Georgetown Hill Early School has almost 40 years experience serving Maryland families. Since 1980, weve guided more than 40,000 little feet through our halls. We take pride in meeting the individual needs of our students and fostering the independence of each child in a family-like environment of trust and warmth. We ask families to make a significant personal and financial commitment to Georgetown Hill and we seek folks worthy of that investment.
GREAT BUT WHATS THE JOB?
We are looking for a qualified School Age Teacher to contribute to our program at our Clarksburg campus, located on the grounds of Clarksburg Elementary School. This position will begin August 27, 2018.
This opening may be full time or part time were flexible so long as you are available to open and close, 7:00am 9:30am and/or 3:00pm 6:30pm. Specifically, the job entails:
- Keeping our students safe. Youll be responsible for supervising children at all times. This means discouraging them from eating crayons, but also maintaining a clean and tidy classroom that is consistent with the highest health and safety standards.
- Utilizing our P.L.A.N. curriculum. We are very proud of our proven, whole child curriculum encompassing play, learning, the arts, and nurturing and we expect our teachers to implement it in a creative, age-appropriate way. We know great teachers need room to express their craft and our program fosters that in an accountable environment. Were looking for folks who can employ a variety of educational techniques (storytelling, play, circle time, educational activities etc.) on a daily basis. In addition, youll be trusted to collaborate with other teachers on further developing and improving our program features.
- Clear and consistent communication. Youll be responsible for communicating with parents during daily interactions and via monthly thematic calendars and weekly email updates. You should prepare to learn and utilize parent communication technologies (i.e. Kid Reports) for on-demand communication regarding childrens daily activities. We like to keep our parents in the loop, and they like that too.
- Relationship building. We expect our teachers to want to know their students and families. We are on a first name basis with our parents and staff (unless they prefer otherwise), and we are genuinely interested in their happiness and wellbeing. We are looking for individuals who can demonstrate the trust, compassion and empathy it takes to create and support a family because thats what we are.
WHAT KIND OF PEOPLE ARE WE LOOKING FOR? In a nutshell, were looking for people who are:
- Nurturing. Think back to when you were in preschool. Did you have a favorite teacher, someone that made you feel special? Thats what we are looking for. People who can make our kids feel special. Make them feel loved, appreciated and supported. Were looking for people who can create a caring classroom community that will cultivate a climate of healthy and positive growth.
- Comfortable embracing their inner child. On a daily basis, you can expect to sing silly songs, laugh at jokes you dont quite understand, and get messy and we mean messy. Were looking for people who love to have fun with kids, because play is fundamental to education and because it makes for a great place to work.
- Expert problem solvers. A preschool environment is often a demanding one. Theres going to be tears, poop, and worrying parents. Youll need to be able to approach each challenge with a calm demeanor and clear head. We believe in our teachers and know that with careful consideration and input from your colleagues, the right answer is always at hand.
- Reliable. As an accredited preschool, we adhere to all MSDE requirements regarding class size and student-teacher ratios. So our staff must be on time (15 minutes early is preferable). We take punctuality and attendance seriously at Georgetown Hill. So if you are a chronically late person, this may not be the best place for you.
- Happy to be part of a team. At Georgetown Hill, we are truly a family. We prize collaboration over competition. We like to hire folks who are positive and productive coworkers, supervisors, and employees. We are looking for people who love to work together and be a part of a community that seeks to enrich the lives of young children. And that takes teamwork.
- Discreet and trustworthy. You will need to quickly establish a sense of trust with your families, fellow staff, and supervisors. As they say honesty is the best policy and its one we take very seriously at Georgetown Hill. Our parents trust us with their children and we must be able to trust our staff entirely. And when parents come to you to discuss sensitive topics, you will need to have impeccable judgement on how to react in the moment and appropriately follow up on the conversation in a way that is respectful of student/colleague privacy and responsible to the school.
- Curious and creative. Were looking for the kind of people who enjoy learning folks who love to Pinterest sensory crafts and read blog posts about the importance of play. Young children are naturally curious about the world and we want people who will be eager and excited to explore it with them. You should have experience with and ideas for meeting the unique needs of each child in your care. Dont be afraid to think outside the box.
- Personable. We believe that positive energy goes a long way after all, smiling is contagious, isnt it? Were looking for people with a personal demeanor that is warm, friendly, and cool-tempered. Our staff should consistently strive to make all co-workers, students, and parents feel included and part of the Georgetown Hill family.
- Genuinely interested in early childhood education. Many of our teachers have been with us for over ten years and we are super proud of our retention rate (about 95% if youre wondering). For us, early childhood education is a career path that will influence future generations of the world. So were looking for people who want to make a positive impact in the lives of some adorable kids. If you are passionate about kids, well be passionate about you.
GREAT, ANY OTHER REQUIREMENTS? If were getting really particular, our applicants must have the following requirements:
- Minimum education level for MSDE licensing. This means a BS/BA or AA in education or a relevant field; and/or the 90 hour MSDE School Age Certification. And we know this MSDE stuff can be confusing so feel free to reach out to the campus youre pining over with questions.
- Experience in a school age setting. Wed prefer at least two years experience in a school setting. This experience should also include expertise with safety and sanitation guidelines for classrooms, and a general knowledge of MSDE licensing regulations.
- Expert communication skills. Our parents like to know whats going on so we make sure to keep them in the loop with regular hallway chats, emails, and sometimes phone calls. Applicants really need to have excellent writing, grammar, and speaking skills.
- Ability to manage physical demands of a preschool setting. This includes but is not limited to: sitting on the floor, getting up quickly from the floor, lifting up to 40 pounds, reaching and lifting above your head, etc.
- Proficient computer skills. We utilize Microsoft Cloud Office 365 along with a slew of other productivity and social media platforms. You should be comfortable using Microsoft programs (especially Outlook), social media, and the internet in general. Our payroll/HR system is online and our classrooms use a productivity app called Life Cubby so you should be ready for that, too.
ANYTHING ELSE? Yes. We share a commitment to excellence and a desire to work in a comfortable, friendly atmosphere, so we only hire nice, bright, funny people who are willing to work hard. We are looking to add amazing folks to our team who are eager to apply and explore their talents in the classroom and beyond.
Please note: All hiring decisions are based on current and rolling needs at each of our campuses. During the interview process, applicants may be asked to show flexibility in final campus, schedule, and/or program age placement.
Please be advised: All applicants will be subject to a state and federal background check, as well as a references check.
DONT SEE AN OPENING YOURE LOOKING FOR? Reach out anyways! Weve been known to invest in A players from time to time, even before a need reveals itself.
ARE THERE ANY PERKS? Yes, we love perks.
- Insurance benefits. For full time employees, we offer medical, short term disability, term life, and dental insurance (with vision discounts). You also have the option for a Flexible Spending Account and Dependent Care Account at the beginning of each plan year. We cover a nice chunk of the cost of premiums for medical insurance for you and your spouse/dependents and subsidize your medical costs further with an employer funded HRA when you enroll in medical coverage.
- 401(k) with match. We want our employees to be able to retire with confidence, knowing that they have enough saved to enjoy every bit of their well-earned retirement. Once youre eligible to enroll, you could earn up to a 4% employer match on your yearly earnings thats free money. For real.
- Paid leave. At Georgetown Hill, we believe a healthy work-life balance is the key to happy (and sane) employees. So all full and part time employees are eligible to accrue Paid Time Off that doesnt expire. Use it for sick days, college visits with your kids, vacation, or just some me time.
- Paid training days. Learning is one of the key components of our curriculum and it doesnt just apply to students! So several times a year, we close school for teacher in-service days where we bring in awesome childhood experts to train us on whats new and proven in the field of early childhood education.
- Professional development. We are committed to supporting each employees goals for professional growth. We provide pre-service trainings to employees for free and offer financial assistance for additional certification and coursework.
- Free caffeine (decaf available). We know that working with kids can be exhausting and we are equipped to assist you in your mid-morning perk up needs. Each campus has a Keurig and pods in stock coffee, tea, hot chocolate... whatever floats your boat, just ask!
- Referral programs. When you refer a new family or a new staff member to us, we want to say thanks! How does a $300 bonus sound?
- Credentialing bonuses. We want the best early childhood educators on our team. So when you put in the effort to get credentialed by MSDE, well reward you by matching the bonus they send for each new level reached.