Under the general guidance and supervision of the Engineering Superintendent, performs routine and corrective automotive work and other maintenance duties of a general nature as may be required or assigned. Maintains vehicle fleet and equipment in ready condition. Performs all work in compliance with applicable codes and with established performance standards. Complies with organizational and departmental policies and procedures as well as safety rules.
1. Performs preventive, corrective and special maintenance tasks as directed either through the work order system in accordance with standard operating procedures or as otherwise assigned.
2. Performs work in a safe manner and complies with codes, ordinances, Zoo and department safety guidelines and protocols; may be required to ensure appropriate performance from others assigned to job.
3. Complies with organizational and departmental policies and procedures as may be promulgated from time to time.
4. Operates and maintains in good repair various tools of the trade.
5. Reports to Engineering Superintendent or his designee regarding the status of assigned work.
6. Stays abreast of the automotive trade and updates skills through training/career development programs.
7. Orders auto repair parts and maintains inventory of appropriate parts on-hand.
8. Performs general maintenance work as assigned and if qualified.
9. May operate excavation equipment if qualified.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITY REQUIRED:
1. High school degree or equivalent. Successful completion of formal training and certification from an approved automotive trade school preferred.
2. Demonstrated thorough knowledge of the principles, practices, methods, materials, techniques and safety procedures of the auto repair trade and of industry standards and codes.
3. Three or more years of demonstrated work experience in the auto repair trade.
4. Internal candidates applying for this position must have a record of competent performance at a Maintenance Mechanic I level or equivalent for at least 1 year prior to applying for this job. Internal candidates must have a work record, which demonstrates teamwork, credibility and rapport with supervisor and co-workers and demonstrates consistent compliance with Zoo and department policies and work standards.
5. Significant and proven prior experience showing the ability to work cooperatively with supervisors and co-workers, to accept and follow general direction, to work independently and to produce quality work in a timely manner.
6. Ability to present clear and accurate information both orally and in writing.
7. Demonstrated interest in staying abreast of field.
8. Professional appearance and manner.
9. Customer relations skills.
10. Possession of a valid CDL motor vehicle operator’s license.
11. Able to work a flexible schedule, which may include weekends, evenings, holidays and overtime when required.
PHYSICAL AND MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS:
1. In good health and capable of performing strenuous and/or heavy physical labor.
2. Successful completion of post-offer medical screening and drug test with emphasis on cardiovascular, respiratory and skeletal systems prior to beginning work.
3. Successful completion of post-offer driving record/license checks.
4. No allergies related to plants or animals, which may interfere with the ability to work.
5. No impairment of sight, smell, hearing, touch, balance and agility of movement, which might interfere with ability to work.
6. Ability to safely lift and carry 40 pounds a distance of 50 feet.
7. Ability to work from heights and/or in confined spaces; ability to climb and work from ladders.
8. Ability to work outside in all weather conditions.
9. Immunocompetence. Possible exposure to inclement weather, dust, potentially dangerous and unpredictable animal species and potentially dangerous machinery, restraint devices and toxic chemicals and/or drugs. Occasional use of protective clothing or safety equipment is required such as, but not limited to, goggles, masks, gloves, braces, helmets and gowns, etc.
10. Must be medically able to wear appropriate respiratory protection.
1. Successful completion of a driving license and criminal records check.