Associate Scientific Director
Newark , NJ 07101
Posted 2 months ago
This Job is not relevant Tell us why
Reports To: Scientific Director or Vice President
General Purpose/Summary of Job:
To lead the strategic editorial development and co-ordinate implementation of client communication programs (to Integrated Product Program [IPP] level), with a focus on marketing strategy, key messages, content and overall quality of all educational materials, in conjunction with relevant colleagues within the business units and external contacts.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and implement strategic communication plans in close collaboration with client/internal account teams.
- Act as the primary editorial contact for the account team on large programs.
- Design, develop, implement and manager publication plans.
- Research, write (project briefs and actual project), edit and proof copy to the highest standard (scientific and grammatical) for a full range of educational materials and target audiences.
- Manage/co-ordinate materials through internal/client/speaker approval, creative/design/production to print, according to internal procedures.
- Check proofs and printers proofs (text, layout, color, specification) and sign-off for print/production.
- Accurate/precise implementation of client/author corrections.
- Mentor Medical Writers working on client program and assist in training of Associate Medical Writers.
- Develop Editors/Editorial Assistants/Editorial Secretaries.
- Provide on-site support to meet the clients needs, e.g., on-site writing/editing, video interviewing, faculty support, competitor intelligence gathering, and moderating meetings.
- Make presentations to clients/speakers/third party organizations.
- Provide medical expertise/consultancy in areas of main strength (internally and externally).
- Establish/develop and maintain opinion leader relationships.
- Work closely with Editorial Unit Manager/Executive Editorial Manager to plan resource to match program needs.
- Utilize and manage freelance and contract freelance assistance (commissioning and briefing freelancers).
- Proactively develop new business for existing and new clients. Develop new ideas/products to add to our portfolio. Assist New Business Department with new pitches/presentations.
- Quality Control checking of copy of other Medical Writers across department.
- Educated to degree level or higher in a biomedical science, with several years writing experience in a communications agency environment, including experience of good multidisciplinary teamwork.
- Excellent scientific writing ability and ability to adapt for different target audiences.
- Ability to ensure all writing meets the clients strategic marketing objectives as well as being of high scientific quality/credibility.
- Attention to detail, style, consistency, grammar, syntax, scientific accuracy, proof-reading, layout, etc.
- Excellent project management and organizational skills.
- Problem solving/diplomacy skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and ability to lead a small project team.
- IT skills (including WP, database searching, graphics packages, Internet, etc.).
- Understanding of media, including print, video, new media (CD-ROM and web-based)
- Good understanding and implementation of internal operating procedures.
- Good knowledge of print/production procedures.
- Good knowledge of therapeutic areas and therapies, plus the pharmaceutical industry.
- Familiar with code of practice guidelines for medical copy/copyright issues.
- Familiar with drug development regulatory guidelines/issues.
- Presentation, interview and appraisal skills.
- Advanced life science (PhD, PharmD, MS) or medical (MD, DO) degree;
- 3+ years medical/scientific writing/editing experience
Competitive salary and benefits package