Assistant Supervisor Of Special Education
California Connections Academy - Kern County
Tampa , FL 33602
Posted 2 weeks ago
Founded in 2001, Connections Education is a leading provider of high-quality, highly accountable online education solutions for schools, school districts, and students in grades K12. It serves families and schools with a variety of digital learning and online school solutions including Connections Academy, International Connections Academy, and Pearson Connexus. In 2017, Connections Education brings full-time online and blended school to 65,000 students across the U.S. and abroad, and delivers online courses to over 340,000 students. In total, over 400,000 students in the U.S. and 48 countries will receive online learning from Connections Education in 2017. Connections Education is based in Baltimore, Maryland and was named a "Top Workplace" by the Baltimore Sun for the third consecutive year and a 2013 "Best Place to Work" by Baltimore magazine. Regularly recognized for its outstanding curriculum and leadership, Connections Education is committed to expanding quality education through technology, and helping students achieve both academic and personal success. Connections Education is part of the global education company, Pearson.
Working from the Connections Academy office located in Tampa, Florida, the Assistant Supervisor of Special Education will support the Manager of Special Education to oversee all aspects of educational service delivery for students with special education needs. The Assistant Supervisor of Special Education will ensure that the school operates in compliance with all district, state, and federal regulations. The Assistant Supervisor of Special Education will collect, store, and update data and documentation in a manner that meets or exceeds all compliance expectations. The Assistant Supervisor will assure that special education teachers are providing a comprehensive special education program that includes specially designed instruction in the least restrictive environment and that all students' records are accurate and up-to-date.
The Assistant Supervisor will manage the IEP process, communication with parents of students who have or who may be suspected of having disabilities, engagement with related service providers throughout the state, and compliant operations with special education law and procedures at all times. The Assistant Supervisor of Special Education will work in collaboration with the Manager of Special Education, School Leader, school leadership team and Pearson Online and Blended Learning. Leadership tasks will include collaboration with state board of education representatives, authorizing district representatives, and colleagues at the corporate office and other Connections Academy schools.
The Assistant Supervisor of Special Education will also collaborate with school staff to ensure that state testing accommodations for students with IEPs and 504s are provided in an accurate and well planned manner. The Assistant Supervisor will provide excellent customer service to the district, school leaders, teachers, students, and families. The ideal candidate will demonstrate an ability to build strong relationships with these stakeholders and operate at a high level of integrity and accountability. A highly-qualified individual proximate to the school's location will also be considered.
- The Assistant Supervisor of Special Education will support the Manager of Special Education to ensure that the school is providing appropriate programs in the least restrictive environment for all students with special needs. This will include management of the IEP process, communication with parents of students who have or who may have disabilities, engagement with related service providers throughout the state, and compliant operations with special education law and procedures at all times.
- Demonstrate a high level of integrity with transparency and accountability;
- Collaborate, serve, and engage with the Manager of Special Education, school leadership team, Pearson Online and Blended Learning (POBL) and authorizing district leaders;
- Actively participate in all school functions and activities, including state testing, marketing events, and field trips (traveling as requested);
- Supervise, manage and evaluate a team of special education teachers;
- Communicate with the Special Education Manager and School Leader about the special education team;
- Ensure compliance with federal and state special education processes and timelines;
- Remain compliant and conduct all tasks related to state reporting, meeting state timelines;
- Remain current and knowledgeable about federal and state special education statutes, regulations, and policies;
- Conduct IEP team meetings within state mandated timelines for all students with disabilities, including meeting timelines for newly enrolled students;
- Implement Connections Academy special education and 504 procedures and protocols;
- Assist with supporting the Connections Academy Mission Statement, school goals and School Improvement Plan;
- Implement procedures for placement, evaluation, assignment and re-evaluation of students with regard to the special education services program;
- Oversee and/or implement all aspects of Child Find referrals, IEP development, diagnostic assessments, and annual/tri-annual reviews;
- Implement and maintain a documentation system within the school's IEP system and Connexus Learning Management System that captures and organizes all special education data;
- Conduct school-based special education related meetings collaboratively with the Manager of Special Education;
- Coordinate the delivery of IEP mandated academic and related services including contracted services;
- Oversee the development, tracking, dissemination and proper implementation of IEP-mandated accommodations for students with disabilities during state testing events;
- Collaborate with Pearson Online and Blended Learning staff and the local school team concerning all facets of programming for students with special needs, from identification to transition and dismissal;
- Work directly with parents, as needed, to answer questions and ensure that all school actions are in compliance, and in the interest of maximizing student learning in the Least Restrictive Environment;
- Oversee the instructional programming for students with exceptionalities, ensuring students make quantifiable progress on IEP goals and through their assigned curriculum;
- Develop a good working knowledge of Connections Academy's curricular options, and how they can be adapted and implemented to meet specific student needs;
- Provide oversight of all aspects of Section 504 including: conducting meetings for new and returning students, developing and implementing 504 plans and ensuring accuracy of state testing accommodations;
- Plan, implement, and evaluate staff professional development activities, and;
- Perform other duties as assigned by the School Leader, Manager of Special Education and Pearson Online and Blended Learning (such as Special Education Administrative Services, Student Academic Services and Exceptional Student Services Consulting team)
- Master's Degree in Special Education or a related field;
- Degree in Special Education required;
- Administrative certificate preferred (in-process candidates will be considered);
- Overnight travel required for state testing, information sessions, and meetings as scheduled;
- Florida Special Education teacher certificate required;
- Willing to travel occasionally for testing, marketing, and training;
- Minimum 3 years teaching experience in Special Education required;
- Experience leading/supporting a Special Education program or parts of a Special Education program;
- Minimum of three years administrative or team leadership experience preferred;
- Work onsite at Connections Academy office in Tampa; approved candidate may work from home if outside of mileage travel zone with frequent required travel to the office, field trips, state testing, etc. as needed and upon request;
- Demonstrated expertise in special education law and compliance;
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written;
- Strong customer-focused approach;
- Demonstrated ability to work well in a fast-paced environment;
- Technologically proficient (especially with Microsoft Office products and Google products); strength with Microsoft Excel required
Customer Centric Acts with a strong customer mindset (both internal and external) and is a visible advocate for the customer. Builds strong relationships with customers and uses those to improve their experience and outcomes.
Delivering Financial Results A strong track record of delivering against budgets and commitments.
- A great communicator who engages teams and stakeholders with thoughtful delivery and messages that resonate.
- Creates strong morale and inclusive spirit within team, Proactively addresses team performance and communication challenges and blends new people into teams when needed. Has a track record of hiring and quickly and effectively onboarding great talent. Demonstrated success developing and promoting talent.
- Models collaboration, solves problems with peers, builds trust and support.
- Takes personal responsibility Can be relied on to complete tasks timely and well, demonstrates "ownership" regardless of the outcome, proactive in exploring and exploiting new opportunities.
- High level of integrity and transparency;
- High degree of flexibility, excellent attention to detail, and superb organization skills;
- Positive attitude;
- Evidence of a strong work ethic, and;
- Demonstrated team player;
- Willingness to travel for marketing events, field trips, and state testing;
- Ability to work remotely during state testing and at other times, if necessary;
- Ability to work extended hours