Assembly Technician Level I
GKN Aerospace Services
Orangeburg , SC 29115
Posted 4 months ago
PLEASE NOTE: BOTH 1ST AND 2ND SHIFT POSITIONS ARE AVAILABLE.
Follow general instructions, drawings, specifications, standard practice and recognized methods to perform any operations needed to produce prototype and/or production composite parts, components and assemblies. Work with engineering personnel to develop techniques, tooling and/or methods and procedures to produce new, complex and/or modified composite parts, components, and assemblies.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- -Use hand, power and machine tools to facilitate preparation, cleaning and manufacturing processes of molds, equipment, parts, assemblies, or machinery. Equipment used may include utility knife, automated power or hand cutters, hydraulic and/or vacuum form presses, laser ply placement machine, weaving, braiding, autoclaves and/or machine shop equipment. Use of protective equipment is mandatory for specified operations. Equipment includes safety glasses, masks, respirators (note: must be clean shaven and pass PFT test if required to use a respirator), and gloves and outerwear.
- -Follow standard and/or prototype operating procedures to cut, assemble, shape, bond, lay-up, inject, cure, braid, weave, sew, trim and make simple and/complex repairs to composite parts, components and assemblies.
- -Record all fabrication or machine operating parameters accurately and legibly in parts manufacturing notebook, routing sheets, resident paper or department documentation or terminals to ensure recording completion of work-in-process, inventories, schedules, labor expenditures, etc.
- -Use simple inspection devices such as meters, protractors, veneers, micrometers, tapes, tension or weight scales, gages, etc. to assure quality of operations processes performed. As required, may be certified to verify the quality of their own work.
- -Assist in the development and maintenance of a corporate culture; which supports the Company's overall business objectives and goals, by providing leadership in issues that involve "cost, quality, process, schedule and people."
- -Ensure the company's commitment to maintain a safe workplace and to protect the environment through the establishment and support of Company policy and adherence to various government regulations.
- -Fully comply with the "GKN Aerospace, Inc. Policy Statement on Contracting with the United States Government" in all areas of responsibility involving direct and indirect contracting with the United States Government.
- -Administer and comply with the Company's human resources policies and procedures to provide fair and equitable treatment for all employees while ensuring optimum productivity and resource utilization.
- -Performs other duties and responsibilities as needed or assigned.
REQUIRED JOB SPECIFIC TRAINING:
An Assembly Technician III should be signed off as "Trained" and have demonstrated proficiency in performing the following task for a minimum of 3 or more consecutive builds:
- -Forward Bulkhead
- -Center Pillar
- -Nose Landing Gear
- -Cabin Floor
- -Side Angel Fairings
- -Pre-fit Drilling of Clips and Thrust Fitting
In addition, an Assembly Technician III must be trained and demonstrate proficiency in a minimum of (2) of the following skills.
- -Gerber Operator
- -Oven Operator
- -Crane Operator
- -Certified in (5) Quality Process Technician (QPT) areas
- -A high school diploma or GED required. A two year degree in an industrial or manufacturing field and or automotive experience in a plus.
- -A minimum of (2) two years of manufacturing work experience performing tasks associated with composite fabrication and/or assembly desired.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- -Demonstrated ability to read and follow written and verbal work instructions.
- -Capable of performing a wide range of physical activities, some requiring fine manual dexterity.
- -Demonstrated ability to recognize discrepancies in materials or processes.
- -Ability to work from sketches and use simple measuring instruments, such as tape measures or micrometers.
- -Position requires knowledge of basic shop math, including addition, subtraction, decimals and fractions.
- -Must be willing to work in a repetitive production environment with concern for meeting cost, quality and schedule requirements.
- -Must be willing to work both as a team player and independently.
ONLY APPLICATIONS THAT INCLUDE RESUMES WILL BE CONSIDERED.
GKN Aerospace is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality, sex, or veteran status.
GKN is a global engineering business. We design, manufacture and service systems and components for most of the world's leading aircraft, vehicle and machinery manufacturers. We are continuously evolving, pioneering new technologies and reinventing existing ones, stretching ourselves to better in everything we do. GKN operates three divisions: GKN Aerospace, GKN Driveline and GKN Powder Metallurgy employing 56,000 people in more than 30 countries.
GKN Aerospace is the world's leading multi-technology tier 1 aerospace supplier. With 55 manufacturing locations in 14 countries, we serve over 90% of the world's aircraft and engine manufacturers. We design and manufacture innovative smart aerospace systems and components. Our technologies are used in aircraft ranging from the most used single aisle aircraft and the largest passenger planes in the world to business jets and the world's advanced 5th generation fighter aircraft.
Diversity and Inclusion
As a global engineering company, innovation is what differentiates us from our competitors and is central to our success.
A balance of cultures, ethnicities and genders help bring new ideas and creativity to GKN. We need people of different backgrounds, with different skills and perspectives to spark originality, imagination and creativeness in our teams around the world.
GKN is an equal opportunity employer.
We treat all our employees and applicants fairly and are committed to ensuring that there is no discrimination or harassment against any employee or qualified applicant on the grounds of age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality, sex, or veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.