Sorry, this job is no longer accepting applications.
See below for more jobs that match what you’re looking for!
Anticipated Opening: Jr. First Lego League Coaches (8) Elementary Schools
Hackensack Public Schools
Hackensack , NJ 07601
Posted 3 months ago
This Job is not relevant Tell us why
Seeking eight (8) Jr. First Lego League (Jr.
FLL) Coaches for students in grades 2, 3, 4. The Jr.
FLL is a hands-on program designed to capture young children's inherent curiosity and direct it toward discovering the possibilities of improving the world around them.
This program features a real-world challenge, to be solved by research, critical thinking and imagination. Guided by the Jr.
FLL coaches, students work with LEGO elements and moving parts to build ideas and concepts and present them for review.
FLL Coach is needed to work with students in each of the elementary schools.
- Complete all necessary paperwork for the formation of the Jr.
FLL team, and coordinate with teachers and administration to communicate the mission and vision of the club to students, parents, and key stakeholders in the community.
- Committing and supporting the team to the entire Challenge: researching, modeling, creating the Show Me! Poster, and working together as a team for the entire 6-8 week sessions.
- Read and relay all aspects of Jr.
FLL guidelines and rules to the team, other coaches, volunteers, and parents.
- Direct the learning process, allowing the children to solve the Challenge without providing the solution.
- Mentor team throughout the season's Jr.
FLL Challenge, as well as for planning and scheduling meetings, visits and trips.
- Encourage mentorship from Hackensack Middle School and Hackensack High School robotics club members, family members, practicing professionals, and school or community volunteers who support the Jr.
- Be the liaison between team members, mentors, parents and volunteers.
- Inform students and parents about what is expected of them in terms of their commitment to the team.
- Develop a 6-8 week season schedule for the team, which may include after-school hours including evenings and/or weekends and communicate the schedule to students, teachers, and the community on the district website and school announcements.
- Provide an opportunity for Jr.
FLL team(s) to showcase their accomplishments.
Look to coordinate with local school districts and/or look to participate in sponsored Jr.
FLL events in the area.
- Experience working with elementary age children.
- Experience and/or interest in teaching Science and/or Robotics.
- Capable of organizing well planned meeting sessions and meeting Jr.
- Current Hackensack Public School Teacher or Teacher-Certified Para-Educator.
- Previous experience as a Jr.
FLL coach is preferable.
Three sessions for SY 2018-19. Meeting sessions with students will run from 6-8 weeks.
The first group (session) will consist of 2nd graders from Oct. - Dec. The second group (session) will consist of 4th graders from Jan. March. The third group (session) will consist of 3rd graders from April June.
During these sessions, teams will have time to research, create and prepare to participate in the Jr.
FLL showcases. The teams should consist of no more than six (6) students.
Depending upon interest, Jr.
FLL Coach may have to create more than one team during the sessions (with administrator approval and provided budget availability).
Salary: As per HEA contract; .021 Stipend
Selection Process: Interested candidates will be interviewed by the respective elementary building administrator. Recommendations will be made to the superintendent.