Our client, a stable non-profit in Arlington, VA is looking for an Accounting Manager to join their team. The Accounting Manager is responsible for developing and maintaining accounting principles, practices and procedures to ensure accurate and timely financial statements, addressing tight deadlines, and a multitude of other accounting activities including accounts payable, payroll, accounts receivable, and general journal entry, general ledger preparation, financial reporting, year-end audit preparation and preparing budgets and financial forecasts. Also, responsible for supervising two staff accountants and for managing the team to ensure that work is properly allocated and completed in a timely and accurate manner. Responsibilities:
Obtaining and maintaining a thorough understanding of the financial reporting and general ledger structure.
Ensuring accurate and timely monthly, quarterly and year end closings.
Assisting with daily banking requirements.
Ensuring the accurate and timely processing of positive pay transactions.
Performing monthly reconciliation activities for all bank accounts, credit cards, and all other credit liabilities, including end of the month vendor statements.
Assuring that restricted funds are fully accounted for and never commingled with general operating funds.
Assuring that fund balances for our various stakeholders are timely and accurately maintained and reported.
Preparing budgets and performing forecasting activities as required.
Monitoring actual performance against applicable budgets and documenting areas that need attention.
Monitoring and analyzing department work to develop more efficient procedures and use of resources while maintaining a high level of accuracy.
Advising staff regarding the handling of non-routine reporting transactions.
Responding to inquiries from managers regarding financial results, special reporting requests, etc. on a timely basis.
Ensuring a timely year-end audit and assisting auditors with questions and additional information requests.
Assisting in developing and implementing new procedures and features to enhance the workflow of the department.
Creating and maintaining departmental Standard Operating Policies and Procedures.
Making sure Accounting department is adhering to gGAAP to the highest degree possible and making sure required internal control checks and balances are in place.
Maintaining vendor, customer, and payroll files.
Supervising accuracy of work handled by departmental staff.
Visiting operating sites on a regular basis to become familiar with staff and work flow.
Performing other duties as needed to assist in accomplishing the requirements of the Accounting
Bachelors in Accounting or Finance
5-7 years of experience in general ledger and fund accounting and experience leading a team in the financial reporting/general ledger area.
Hands-on accounting experience and skills are a must.
Excellent analytical problem-solving skills.
Results and detail-oriented.
Strong organizational skills and ability to work both independently and as a cross-functional team member.
Experience working in a CPA or professional services firm is preferred. Also, non-profit experience is a plus.
VIEW JOBS12/1/2018 12:00:00 AM2019-03-01T00:00OverviewAmerican Institutes for Research (AIR) is a leading professional services firm which prides itself in conducting high-impact, high-stakes projects for significant Federal, state, and private organizations. The intellectual diversity of our employees enables us to bring together experts from many fields in the search for innovative answers to any challenge. Within AIR, the Corporate Finance Office (CFO) is a dynamic workplace with a clear agenda to develop a service-oriented organization in line with the business. It is composed of a strong team of coworkers and challenging varied roles that aim to stretch and expand the value CFO delivers within AIR. We currently have an opportunity for an Accounting Associate position in the General Accounting team in the Corporate Finance Office located in our Crystal City, Virginia office. Responsibilities• Conduct treasury management activities, including application of daily cash receipts and other cash activity analysis • Process accounting transactions, collect and analyze accounting data, analyze business results and develop management reports • Ensure financial policies and procedures are followed; escalate complex matters when necessary • Analyze and maintain general ledger accounts • Perform financial closing activities, e.g., fixed asset accounting, bank reconciliations • Ensure components of regulatory reporting such as sales and use tax and Census Bureau reports are compliant, accurate and timely • Manage corporate credit card programs • Monitor credit card reconciliation compliance • Coordinate with external auditors to fulfill audit requests • Perform other duties as assigned Qualifications• Bachelor's degree in Accounting or related field • Demonstrated ability to provide high level of customer service in a dynamic environment • Strong Microsoft Office skills, especially Excel • Ability to apply comprehensive knowledge of GAAP • Strong analytic and organizational skills and the ability to handle multiple priorities and deadlines • Attention to details and accuracy • Experience with Deltek Costpoint preferred *LI-AS1 #CBAmerican Institutes For ResearchArlingtonVA
VIEW JOBS11/4/2018 12:00:00 AM2019-02-02T00:00Overview and Responsibilities
This position is responsible for overseeing the accounting function for the property. Provides a wide variety of Accounting services.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Reporting: Responsible for the entire income audit function. Ensures the integrity of all revenue sources as reported through the various property management systems. Responsible for general ledger and income statement of the property.Financial: Consistently monitors all controls to minimize risk of misappropriation of funds or assets on the property. Responsible for accounts payable, accounts receivable and all outlets accounting procedures.Cost Control: Assists all departments in maximizing efficiencies. Assists in identifying maximization of revenue for the hotel and restaurant. Assists department managers in effectively managing labor costs, follows B. F. Saul Company Hospitality Group procurement guidelines and applies good business judgment.Cash Flow Management: Oversees accounts receivable for the property. Ensures timely billing and collection of accounts.Operational Procedures: Provides leadership support in maintaining established controls and standard procedures. Serves as a resource for all management and hourly staff.Guest Service: Ensures hotel meets/exceeds company and brand standards for guest satisfaction. Identifies and addresses guest concerns in a courteous and timely manner.Training: Analyzes quality issues, identifies training needs and ensures implementation to improve results. Utilizes available resources and adheres to B. F. Saul Company Hospitality Group training policies.Safety/Risk Management: Ensures a clean and safe work environment.Self/Workload Management: Responsible for effective self/workload management. Demonstrates clear communication. Promotes collaboration and positive, professional work environment. Adheres to B. F. Saul Company Hospitality Group Standard Operating Procedures.People Management: Responsible for the effective management of hourly staff including hiring decisions, performance expectations, training initiatives and rewards/recognition.Qualifications
To perform this job successfully an individual must be able to perform each essential duty to a satisfactory standard. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge skill and/or ability required.
Education: Associates Degree in Accounting or related field required.Experience/Knowledge/Skills/Abilities: Five+ years of progressive accounting experience including proficient use of spread sheet and word processing software OR equivalent combination of accounting and hospitality. Strong preference for experience in a hospitality environment. Must have strong organizational & communication skills and a solid business focus. Physical Requirements: Ability to lift, push, and pull up to 20 pounds on an occasional basis.
EEO AA M/F/Vet/Disabled
B.F. Saul Company HospitalityArlingtonVA
VIEW JOBS11/19/2018 12:00:00 AM2019-02-17T00:00Marriott International portfolio of brands includes both JW Marriott and Marriott Hotels.
Marriott Hotels, Marriott International's flagship brand with more than 500 global locations, is advancing the art of hosting so that our guests can travel brilliantly. As a host with Marriott Hotels, you will help keep this promise by delivering premium choices, sophisticated style, and well-crafted details. With your skills and imagination, together we will innovate and reinvent the future of travel.
JW Marriott is part of Marriott International's luxury portfolio and consists of more than 80 beautiful properties in gateway cities and distinctive resort locations around the world. JW believes our associates come first. Because if you're happy, our guests will be happy. It's as simple as that. Our hotels offer a work experience unlike any other, where you'll be part of a community and enjoy a true camaraderie with a diverse group of co-workers. JW creates opportunities for training, development, recognition and most importantly, a place where you can really pursue your passions in a luxury environment. Treating guests exceptionally starts with the way we take care of our associates. That's The JW Treatment™.
Manages the day-to-day operation of the accounting office and assists the property Director of Finance and Accounting in providing financial leadership to the business. Primary responsibilities include financial analysis and financial reporting, budgeting/forecasting, audit and control, asset and liability reconciliation, working capital and cash control. Assists with capital expenditure plans (Return On Investment Analysis), owner relations and owner reporting.
Education and Experience
* 4-year bachelor's degree in Finance and Accounting or related major; no work experience required.
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
Leading Accounting Team
* Utilizes interpersonal and communication skills to lead, influence, and encourage others; advocates sound financial/business decision making; demonstrates honesty/integrity; leads by example.
* Celebrates successes and publicly recognizes the contributions of team members.
* Establishes and maintains open, collaborative relationships with employees and ensures employees do the same within the team.
* Leverages strong functional leadership and communication skills to influence the management team and to lead own team.
* Creates a working environment that enables the retention of top talent and where individuals perform at their best.
* Encourages open dialogue between team members.
* Assigns team members and other department managers clear accountability to accomplish goals.
* Ensures disciplinary procedures and documentation are completed according to Standard and Local Operating Procedures (SOPs and LSOPs) and support the Peer Review Process.
* Uses all available on the job training tools for employees.
* Ensures property policies are administered fairly and consistently.
Maintaining Finance and Accounting Goals
* Submits reports in a timely manner, ensuring delivery deadlines.
* Ensures profits and losses are documented accurately.
* Achieves and exceeds goals including performance goals, budget goals, team goals, etc.
* Develops specific goals and plans to prioritize, organize, and accomplish your work.
* Monitors all taxes that apply, ensuring that taxes are current, collected and/or accrued.
* Compiles, codes, categorizes, calculates, tabulates, audits, or verifies information or data.
* Maintains a strong accounting & operational control environment to safeguard assets, improve operations and profitability and manage business risks.
* Generates and reviews financial reports that are linked to the plan's financial goals.
Managing Projects and Policies
* Generates and provides accurate and timely results in the form of reports, presentations, etc.
* Analyzes information and evaluating results to choose the best solution and solve problems.
* Ensures that the P&L is accurate (i.e., costs are properly matched to revenue, costs are recorded in the proper accounts) and statements are delivered to appropriate individuals in a timely manner.
* Reconciles balance sheet and ensures account balances are supported by appropriate documentation in accordance with SOPs.
* Oversees internal, external and regulatory audit processes and ensures compliance with Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
* Produces accurate and timely financial reports to support effective decision making.
* Ensures compliance with standard and local operating procedures (SOPs and LSOPs).
* Ensures tax rates used for sales/use tax are current and proper amounts are collected and/or accrued.
* Documents tax exempt transactions.
Demonstrating and Applying Accounting Knowledge
* Demonstrates knowledge of job-relevant issues, products, systems, and processes.
* Uses computers and computer systems (including hardware and software) to program, write software, set up functions, enter data, or process information.
* Uses relevant information and individual judgment to determine whether events or processes comply with laws, regulations, or standards.
* Keeps up-to-date technically and applying new knowledge to your job.
* Provides analytical support during budget reviews to identify cost saving and productivity opportunities.
Proving Financial Information and Guidance to Others
* Informs and/or updates the executives, the peers and the subordinates on relevant information in a timely manner.
* Provides on going analytical support (e.g., monitoring the operating department's actual and projected sales and profit and coaches management team to ensure financial goals are met and opportunities are identified and addressed).
* Orients property managers to the accounting function and coaches to effectively manage their departments financial performance.
* Provides meaning or context to the financial results.
* Advises the Director of Finance on existing and evolving operating/financial issues.
* Provide direction and assistance to other organizational units regarding accounting and budgeting policies and procedures, and efficient control and utilization of financial resources.
Managing and Conducting Human Resource Activities
* Ensures team members are cross-trained to support successful daily operations.
* Ensures property policies are administered fairly and consistently.
* Ensures new hires participate in the department's orientation program.
* Ensures new hires receive the appropriate new hire training to successfully perform their job.
* Creates appropriate development plans which develop team members based on their individual strengths, development needs, career aspirations and abilities.
* Provides information to supervisors, co-workers, and subordinates by telephone, in written form, e-mail, or in person.
* Communicates financial concepts in a clear and persuasive manner that is easy to understand and drives desired behaviors.
* Attends critique meetings to review information with management team.
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. Marriott International does not discriminate on the basis of disability, veteran status or any other basis protected under federal, state or local laws.Marriott InternationalArlingtonVA