Colorado League Of Charter Schools
Denver , CO 80202
Posted 6 days ago
We are looking for an Accounting Manger to join our Finance Team. The Accounting Manager will have the unique opportunity to leverage their accounting skills while contributing to a nonprofit organization dedicated to serving charter schools and their students across the state. If you are looking for an opportunity to use your expertise and make an impact in Colorado while supporting a statewide movement, this may be the right fit for you.
Reporting to the Chief Operating Director, the Accounting Manager will prepare and process payroll, track and report on grant expenditures, contracts, and use of restricted funds, conduct federal, state and local business and tax licensure and complete annual tax reporting, prepare journal entries and ledger and bank account reconciliations, oversee accounts payable and accounts receivable, and lead our annual audit. The Accounting Manager will also have the opportunity to interact with member charter schools.
Accounting Responsibilities (70%):
- Manage the preparation and processing of accurate semi-monthly payroll via our PEO payroll system, ensuring compliance with annual tax reporting.Serve as the main point of contact for the League’s payroll provider.
- Perform accurate financial tracking and reporting for contracts, grants, and restricted funds. Maintain an organized filing system for all payables, grants, contracts, and other business documents.
- Manage the financial processing of employee benefits including insurance and retirement including reconciliation with payroll and reporting.
- Conduct federal, state and local business and tax licensure and reporting on a timely basis as assigned.
- Accurately process non-employee compensation including contract interpretation and annual tax reporting.
- Prepare assigned journal entries using generally accepted accounting principles.
- Prepare timely general ledger and bank account reconciliations as assigned.
- Serve as the lead in contracting with auditing company, preparing for, and participating in the annual audit.
- Manage electronic and manual filing/recordkeeping in order to ensure that financial transactions are properly documented.
- Ongoing accounting projects including development and documentation of improved systems, reporting processes, and procedures; data correction; and other projects as assigned.
- Assist the Chief Operating Director in other accounting and budgeting duties and reporting as needed, including development of policies and internal controls to comply with generally accepted accounting principles, tax requirements, management reporting, and interpreting financial results.
Financial Oversight (15%):
- Oversee all billing and accounts receivable operations, including invoicing, credit card and payment processing, credits and refunds, deposits, and customer collections in a precise and timely manner in collaboration with the Office Manager.
- Oversee all accounts payable operations, including management of approval process, account, event, and grant coding, check processing, and vendor interface in a precise and timely manner in collaboration with the Office Manager.
- Oversee the annual membership billing and tracking, including regular communication and coordination with staff and management on the process and progress, updating the member database with accurate pupil counts and membership expiration, the generation of renewal invoices, and calculation of renewal rates in collaboration with the Office Manager.
- Oversee the processing of event registrations and sponsorships in collaboration with the Office Manager.
Organizational Support (15%):
- Present and represent the League’s mission and vision, values, priorities to internal and external stakeholders.
- Visit up to 18 member schools over the course of the fiscal year to learn about their programming, mission & vision, and help connect them with other team members that will provide them with the resources they need succeed.
- Participate as a support person in major League events such as Annual Conference and Leadership Summit.
- Assist the Chief Operating Director with ongoing management of office operations, systems, policies, and procedures. Proactively identify ways that the League’s office and operations could be improved to better meet the needs of members and employees.
- Assist with board meeting preparation as assigned.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- Sitting for extended periods of time.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse and to handle other computer components.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Normal office environment. The noise level in the work environment varies between quiet and moderate.
Is any travel required? Up to 5% - local travel visiting schools and attending occasional events
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting
- Minimum of three years of accounting experience in a nonprofit organization
- Minimum of three years of experience working with grant funding proposals, awards, accounting, and reporting
- Minimum of three years of experience with nonprofit IRS reporting and internal/external audit support
- Expert knowledge and skills in QuickBooks and Microsoft Excel
- Working technical knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and the ability to apply accounting principles and government/fiscal reporting regulations
- Database experience
- Demonstrates strong expertise in financial concepts, practices, and procedures
- Comfortable and resourceful within a small, growing nonprofit organization
- Ability to work with and process confidential and sensitive information with complete discretion
- Ability to work independently and accept responsibility for a variety of complex organizational functions
- Strong oral and written communication skills; ability to communicate effectively and work with diverse groups
- Commitment to the charter school movement and the mission and vision of the League
The salary range for this position is $60,000 – $70,000, commensurate with experience. This is a full-time position that offers a competitive benefits package including the opportunity to earn an annual performance bonus, up to 20 days paid holidays, including two weeks around the Winter and New Year holidays, generous paid time off that accrues with tenure in addition to the paid holidays, attractive medical plans, including 100% employer paid options, dental, vision, retirement, life insurance, and disability benefits, flexible work hours, and paid maternity and paternity leave.
How to Apply:
Please send a cover letter and resume to Lorna Beckett at firstname.lastname@example.org with a subject line that reads: Accounting Manager. Applications are requested by March 17, 2020. The position will be filled as soon as a highly qualified candidate can be identified.
The Colorado League of Charter Schools is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all applicants without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, pregnancy, childbirth, (or related medical conditions, including, but not limited to lactation), physical disability, mental and/or intellectual disability, age, military status or status as a Vietnam-era or special disabled veteran, marital status, registered domestic partner or civil union status, gender (including sex stereotyping and gender identity or expression), medical condition (including, but not limited to, cancer related or HIV/AIDS related), genetic information, or sexual orientation in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
The Colorado League of Charter Schools is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. If you have a disability and require a reasonable accommodation during any part of the application or interview process, please direct your inquiries for assistance to Lorna Beckett at email@example.com.